which braid?

Started by ScottOz, October 09, 2016, 07:48:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ScottOz

Hi All,
         Anyone used these braids?Diawa J braid or powerpro depth-hunter both in 80#.Here in oz these two seem to be the cheapest of the big name braids.Intend to splice solid braid to hollow then hollow to mono top shot 80#.Will be put onto Tyrnos 50 lrs2 speed.No casting.Sharking off the beach.
Cheers Scott.

sharkman

I have used both. The diawa is a lot limper. I haven't had any problems with either. Most articles rate power pro to have higher breaking strength

ScottOz

Keta

I sell JB Line one but use both Power Pro and Line One.  Uncoated Line One us far limper than coated lines, same for uncoated Iser Line.    PP Depth Hunter is what I have on my jigging reels.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

broadway

Lee, sells JB at the best price you can get it for, and he's a great guy to deal with.  He rescued my last order of line from the post office when he had my old shipping address (my fault) ... never even heard of someone being able to do that before.
Jerry Brown is awesome line, I use the solid for my style of fishing.
all the best,
Dom

bill19803

keep  in  mind  abrasion  resistance   solid  does not  do well against  rocks  coral  etc   while hollow    seems to outlast it in abrasive situations. sorta  have  to  choose  your line  based on how and  where you  fish and conditions there. you might  want to talk  to  darren (shark hunter)  about type of line.

Shark Hunter

I would definitely choose JB Hollow as the backing.
Splice to mono top shot.
The hollow core lays pretty flat when tight. I don't use solid core braid on anything but spinners.
Shells will cut solid 100lb braid like thread from the beach. JMO
Life is Good!

ScottOz

Hey guys,
              Why dose hollow braid have better abrasion resistance then solid braid?.I sent Lee a pm to get jb hollow price.As I fish off the beach I am concerned about abrasion resistance.

sharkman

Now for abrasion resistant I will have to give it to Suffix 832.  Battled with 150lb ray under Skyway Pier for 30 mins with her rubbing against the pillars and the braid held up. Power Pro would not have faired as well.

Shark Hunter

I am sold on Sufix Mono. Tritanium and Superior in 100lb.
Scott,
I just know a lot of Serious Sharkers use Hollow core to back their reels for capacity reasons.
I am not qualified to answer your question. I do have several reels that are backed With the hollow core, but I have yet to fish them.
Life is Good!

boon

If the "80lb" J-Braid sold in these parts of the world breaks at anything near 80lb then I'm a baked potato. I would be surprised if it breaks under 100lb, the same diameter braid is sold in the UK as 103lb.
I once got a jig snagged when fishing the "50lb" (sold in the UK as 79lb) and it comfortably anchored our boat.

ScottOz

Got 100lb power pro.Getting hollow braid here in Oz just to many $.Sure would have liked hollow but couldn't justify the expense.

Bryan Young

I like Daiwa Braid. I have been fishing Daiwa braid for over 30 years. I believe they were the first to get into the braid market and have produced the finest braid available.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

David Hall

X2 on the Daiwa braid, I use it on all my rock fishing gear and albacore gear.