Newell S229-5 when one door closes another one opens

Started by Hamachi, October 29, 2016, 05:22:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hamachi

Picked up by yours truly today for an insanely low price ($80) is an almost pristine s229-5. Ok, ok, I know what you're thinking, an "S"?!? But wait, two large bearing cups and no through bolts, what the heck is going on here? A quick look inside reveals a stack of about ten thick and thin wavy washers above the drag stack. To help take the place of the top hat there is also a brass looking spacer. Other than that, besides the red looking plastic drag washers this one looks untouched. I think I have a rod clamp for it somewhere, 6-309 ht-100's and maybe a handle, what do you guys think?
The rail is your friend, no zing pow, on the iron wenches, I like broccoli!

Bill B

Id fish that all day long....Cool beans brother...Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Bryan Young

I have found that there are little quality issues between series with large bearing cups. That is a great deal.

Of course I would recommend my 5-stack drag kit. Another would be a SS arm with a 3/0 handle from Alan.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Swami805

$80 is a good score. I have s332's with different combinations of bearing cups,caps and screws, I think at the time you could order them in different combinations. I found this site looking for Newell schematics, check it out to see what it should look like. Take good care of the nut and screw that hold the top of the side plates together, otherwise no trick finding parts. The 5 stack drag kit is a big improvement too but the graphite spool will fail at high drag numbers so don't too nuts. I have the 5 stack in a p220, very smooth. Nice reel,should serve you well.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

bluefish69

I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Newell Nut

Great price but install Bryan's kit so you will have a Belleville again. These a high powered little reels that cast extremely well. Adam's titanium handles would be cool on it.

fishmeluck

I think you drove to El Monte Friday evening because you knew that reel would not go 24 hours without selling. How do I know this? Because my wife asked me to watch her ukelele group play a gig on Friday evening, otherwise it would have been me writing this post instead of responding to it!  ;)
Give a man a fish and he will have fish for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.

Hamachi

Funny, the ad was posted up for 7 hours before I noticed it. Seemed to good to be true, Called, left a message (you know how that goes) immediately received a text back and set up the deal in a supermarket parking lot. I didn't even dicker about the price (maybe I should have). The only thing about the reel is when the drag is backed all the way off the handle binds a little. It must be all those wavy washers above the drag stack unflexing. Tighten down a little and everything's fine. I'm happy with my purchase. The guys name is John and I noticed he posts up several reels for sale, most are overpriced except this one. His ads are very professional looking, maybe a web designer? Good luck to you on the next one.

Warren

The rail is your friend, no zing pow, on the iron wenches, I like broccoli!