the list - updated 12/13/2016

Started by alantani, October 30, 2016, 04:27:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alantani

joel is finally back from columbia and jack just got back from chile. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

alantani

natch!

Hi everybody, I just found out I got a promotion I've been trying for at SF General Hospital, 2 blocks from my house ;).
The downside is that it comes with a 6 month probationary period which I want to push through as quickly as possible.
I've been on all the other trips and it's been a highlight of those years, I'm going to really miss the fishing and camaraderie and food and   drinks and stories and probably not Capt. Brian.
  I plan to return next year and I'll be following all the pre & post trip reports for this year.

Best of luck,  Jack

reel man

The SOA now has Guadalupe permits, so it's available.

alantani

i'll get emails out to everyone as soon as i can, but basically cedros might close to all boats over 35 feet, but the spirit of adventure should be able to get a permit to go to guadalupe in june.  that would likely cost us an extra $250.  all of the details are up in the air right now.  if we go the the 'lupe, everything will be different.  instead of 30-40 pound gear, it would now be 60-80.  here, fishing as a team is even more critical.  if we get someone fishing with 40# mono, or god forbid, 30# mono, they will get 10 times as many bites, but lose 9 of those fish to the sharks.  we will have to work as a team.  everyone will have to do the same thing.  these fish will run 40 to 120 pounds.  to minimize the risk of getting sharked, you will have to land them within 10 minutes.  that's doable.  at puerto vallarta, i landed a 200 pound yellowfin in 15 minutes with 80 pound gear. 

stay tuned.....   :-\

David Hall

Bryan Young

This will be a much needed vacation for me.  60# and 80# rig. Hmm. What can I bring?  60#, 80# and 100# rig and a bait/squid stick.

I'd better get ready for this.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

David Hall

This would be a first for me, I've wanted to see the Lupe since I was a kid.  I would have been more than happy to just get a drive by and see them with my own eyes, fishing there is a whole nother level.  If there is anything I can do to rob the tax man I'm up for.
Got my fingers crossed all things fall into place XXXXX

MarkT

Oh gee, Guadalupe instead of Cedros?  What a let down... NOT!  That's a bucket list destination for me.  I've got an HX Raptor with 60# on a Phenix phd700x2h, a Mak 16Sea with 80# on a phd700x3h and a Mak 20Sea on a Calstar 6460xxh with 130# all ready to go.  The Mak 20 would be for dropper loop for some of the big YT that live down there.  I have no idea what we'd find there in June but I hope everyone has appropriate gear for whatever we'll find.

Guys that went there early July last year reported 25-50# YFT and big YT on the dropper loop. Go big or get rocked on the dropper loop. Mostly 30-50# line with 100#+ for the dropper loop. The big YFT are in the fall.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

SoCalAngler

Just remember guys sometimes the Lupe shuts down. I don't mean the island or access to is if you have passes, I mean conditions can shutdown the bite or make the island unfishable and since it is so far away from other fishing options captains sometimes will not head there until they have positive feed back that fish are there and conditions are right.

If it were me going on the trip I'd bring the same gear that was recommended on the other trips but if the Lupe is an option I'd add a 60 lb and a 80 lb rig. Since I troll with either a 60 lb or 80 lb setup that really means I only need to add one other rig.

Don't worry if the Lupe and Cedros are not in the cards there are many places to fish within 6 day range like, Benedicto, Uncle Sam Bank and many places in and off shore along the Baja coast.

Edit: Last year a buddy of mine went on a 5 day boat thinking they may hit the Lupe to only find out when they left the harbor the boat made a right meaning heading somewhat northerly instead of a left. This boat and many of the long range fleet headed over Clemente to jump all over the bigger BFT that were there.

Wally15

I have all the luck :'( I was signed up to go this year, then had to cancel because of a Hawaii trip conflict with two other couples. Now the Hawaii trip is postponed because one of the daughters of our travel mates has decided to get married in June. And now I hear that 'Lupe is probably in and Cedros is probably out.
I haven't checked, but I'll bet I didn't win the lottery this week either.
Pate
Sweet dreams and flying machines in pieces on the ground.
"Fire and Rain"
James Taylor

Aiala

Quote from: Wally15 on February 22, 2017, 01:36:45 AM
Now the Hawaii trip is postponed because one of the daughters of our travel mates has decided to get married in June...

Mike, I know how heartbroken you must be about that  ::) but oh,well.  ;D

Meantime, you should jump on the SOA waiting list... or, alternatively, come join me on my ROYAL STAR  8-day leaving June 3rd. She has a Guadalupe permit, and who knows... Alijos?   ;)

~A~
I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

MarkT

Well then Peaches, get yourself on the standby list.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Big Tim

Peaches...I know a guy that has a house in Cayucos...Don't tell anyone at at all...But maybe I can contact this guy & see if this said house is available on those dates? Maybe we could go fishing? Maybe I should put the beer down.

BT

alantani