BACK FROM BAJA - PHOTO HEAVY - DOMINICK

Started by Dominick, November 04, 2016, 12:07:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mudman

Great report! Looks like you had a ton of fun.

Tightlines667

Looks like a great trip.  Eastern Pacicic Spinner Dolphins?  I have fished tye exact same technique on schoolies, or used live bait, or rapalas on downriggers when run and gunning the porpoise school.  Alot of fun.  Those waters can be full of life.

Thanks for the great report.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

theswimmer

Looks like a blast Dom!
Was that out of Los Cabos?
There is nothing like lying flat on your back on the deck, alone except for the helmsman aft at the wheel, silence except for the lapping of the sea against the side of the ship. At that time you can be equal to Ulysses and brother to him.

Errol Flynn

redsetta

Fantastic Dominick - stoked you had a good trip.
Baja delivers again!
All the best mate
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Dominick

Quote from: theswimmer on November 04, 2016, 11:30:14 AM
Looks like a blast Dom!
Was that out of Los Cabos?
Yep, out of Los Cabos.  It was fun, but too many boats churning up the water.  It was hard to get the tuna to come up.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Gfish

Anyone ever accidently snag a dolphin, fishin the merged schools like that, or, are the tuna(and your baited hooks)too deep fer that. Shore fishin, I've gotten an endangered monk seal(lure) and 2 green sea turtles( one-bait that he ate, one-lure-snagged), extream bummer experiences. The snagged turtle( big one)was a tackle testing battle, but had ta leave hooks in all these critters. "Catch and Release"!: Western Grebe ona crappie killer(freshwater) and some kinda marine bird ona anchovie bait. Never knew bird beaks hada soft spot in 'em.
Gfish
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Tightlines667

Quote from: Gfish on November 04, 2016, 10:15:07 PM
Anyone ever accidently snag a dolphin, fishin the merged schools like that, or, are the tuna(and your baited hooks)too deep fer that. Shore fishin, I've gotten an endangered monk seal(lure) and 2 green sea turtles( one-bait that he ate, one-lure-snagged), extream bummer experiences. The snagged turtle( big one)was a tackle testing battle, but had ta leave hooks in all these critters. "Catch and Release"!: Western Grebe ona crappie killer(freshwater) and some kinda marine bird ona anchovie bait. Never knew bird beaks hada soft spot in 'em.
Gfish4

Yes.  I caught 2 seperate Eastern Pantropical Spinner Dolphins in Mexico when fishing 50lb floro., small circle hooks, and live bait.  One just stopped dead next to the boat.  I guided him gently towards the boat with the line, then he lifted his head out if the water and flipped it hard away breaking the line at the knot.  

The second one got snagged in the fluke (presumably) while going full speed and he did not slow down one bit.  We chased him with the boat, but could only get alongside within about 100'.  After several attemps, I pushed the drag down and broke him off.  He certainly  ended up with more then a body's length of gear remaining (the golden post-release survivability rule here).

Felt bad on both accounts.

Be aware...

There are strict federal laws (namely ESA, MMPA, and MDTA) surrounding the handling of protected species (Marine Mammals, Sea Turtles, and Seabirds) and the reporting of any fisheries-related (including recreational) interactions in US waters.  Various International laws come into play elsewhere.

Mistakes happen, but proper handling techniques, and reporting measures are important, and required by law.

Having said that, I have fished all kinds of gear types, and baiting techniques in and around protected species throughout my life with almost no documented interactions.

The key is not to approach these animals and purposefully harass them in US waters.  If they approach you, it is advisable to try to avoid any interaction (gear contact).

Oh yea, there was one other instance of an Offshore Common Dolphin stealing my Dolphinfish off of my hook when fishing in the GOM.  He swam over to the boat and showed me my fish in his mouth, after he dehooked it from my jig.

John
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

steelhead_killer

Looks like a great time!  Bucket listed...
><)))">

handi2

Ill take that size Tuna any day. A great post.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

theluckpusher

"To Hell with Luck, I'll bring the Luck with Me." ---Hemingway

Dominick

Quote from: handi2 on November 05, 2016, 02:40:41 PM
Ill take that size Tuna any day. A great post.
Interestingly enough these small tuna put up a heck of a battle.  Especially in 90 degree weather with 60 + humidity.  Typically when fishing on a Mexican boat the crew want to use their own equipment.  I don't usually argue about it unless the equipment is just plain trashed.  This was the first time on this boat as our regular captain was hired onto a private yacht so we went with the Dona Amiche.  Well the rods were too flexible.  They were too flexible to raise the fish, so one is basically fighting ones self.  You would lift the rod and it would bend.  Try to drop the tip and the flex would come right back as you tried to gain line.  Too much work for these small YFT.  I switched over to Alan Chui's new 2017 spiral wrapped 450g-650g Rod.  It was stiff enough to lift the tuna's head.  It made working the fish a whole lot easier.  For a 2 piece rod I was absolutely satisfied with its performance.  Dominick   
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

coastal_dan

Stinkin' sweet.  Nice job Dom and thanks for sharing.  Awesome to see the cradle reel in use.
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

Steve-O

Way to go, Dominick!

Nice photos and fishies.  Thanks for taking us along.

Cone

Dominick, I'm glad you had a great trip! Thanks for the pics.
Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD