What do you think of this?

Started by The Great Maudu, November 05, 2016, 06:27:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Superhook

Steve,

The 14/0 & 16/0 always had the front & rear rod braces . The 12/0's only have the front rod brace. The earliest 12/0's did not even have the front rod brace.

Ray

Shark Hunter

Yea,
The Senators that I know. 9/0 and 12/0. One Brace. 14 and 16/0, two rod braces.
Mike's reel is an oddity. I'm sure I will see it soon enough.
Life is Good!

The Great Maudu

Once I get it I'll take it over to Darons for a close inspection. I'm curious to see how they put the double lugs on it. We'll post pics of anything of interest on this thread.

Shark Hunter

Made my way over to Mike's this evening to check out the Dinosaur.
I think it is a 37 that someone Frankened the plate to accept the additional lugs.
The thing that really struck me as odd was the pinion. It is Brass too.
Never seen that before. Brass main and pinion gears with rough cuts to accept the lugs.
The plate is still in Tact. Just need to find correct rings for it.
It also had a black steel washer that I thought was Delrin on top of the Belleville.
I put it under it when I put it back together.

Life is Good!

Shark Hunter

I also got to see The Awesome Collection of Templars he has. Also a Very Nice Altapac.
Life is Good!

thorhammer

wow, nice spread of Pfluegar's, Mike! and Altapac.

John

The Great Maudu

Thank you. I had a great time with The Shark Hunter. It's nice finding a kindred spirit right in the neighborhood. According to Ray if the gears are brass this is a 1937 12/0 since that is the only year brass was ever used. This reel has the brass gears. Both side plates each have one factory cut out for the harness lugs. I have period correct parts to put everything back to original except a pair of inner rings with the matching cut outs for for the harness lugs. What is the chance of ever finding those?

Shark Hunter

Never give up my. Brother.
You have to stay on the hunt.
Your collection proves you are capable.
Next Time, I might build up the nerve to hold that Boa.
Life is Good!

Shark Hunter

Got your handle ready Mike. I added a little Bling to this old Dinosaur. Compliments of My Man Sal. ;)
Life is Good!

Alto Mare

Always sprading the love. Good job Daron ;)
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

The Great Maudu

That's right Sal he is. He showed me the engine turned parts he got from you. They are gorgeous!

Shark Hunter

I Have been good to Mike.
That is just how I roll.
He has been good to me as well.
I exchanged that spool for his 12/0, only because he received a 14/0 by mistake.
It all comes around my friends.
I slapped some new rings and a few parts on his first gen 12/0.
He actually came with a wrapped present for me.
A Templar 1420 1/2.
Thank You Mike!
This reel is super cool. ;)
Life is Good!

Tightlines667

Nice reel Daron.  That one should be fun to take apart.  I am still looking fir my first big Pflueger.  I have been waiting for a boxed 9/0 Atlapac.  Wouldn't that be fun yo catch a shark from shore on that bad boy?
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

The Great Maudu

I also got a Christmas present sort of yesterday for my 1st gen, 1st year 1937 12/0. If you remember from earlier in this thread the reel, as found, has front and rear rod braces. 12/0's only come with the front set but, the 1937 1st year was unique in that it was made without any braces. Only lugs for a harness. That meant the inner rings were made with only one slot milled to accept a lug. This reel had rings with 3 slots cut to accept the two rod brace lugs and the harness lug. I said I had a hard time imagining I would ever come across a set to make it right. "Never say never", was the Shark Hunter's reply. In addition, several commented that the two outer rings were actually inner rings that someone slapped on. So I went to see the Wizard, the Shark Hunter to get a counter balanced crank to replace the 14/0 crank that was on the reel. I told him I also needed to find an eccentric lever nut and a set of 1st gen, 1st year inner rings to put it into correct configuration. In addition it also needed outer rings to replace the incorrect inner rings someone slapped on it. So Daron graciously volunteers to make all the changes while I wait. He removed the rings and laid the on the table. I picked one up just look at it and low and behold it was a single slot inner ring original to the reel! So, who ever hot rodded it back in the day just put those original inner rings on the outside. Saved them a few bucks and made a nice surprise for me. Magic always seems to happen when I enter the den of the Shark Hunter.

Shark Hunter

I should be outside doing leaf duty, but I can't put this reel down.
The screws were very easy to take out.
Someone has serviced this reel and a light coat of grease is on all the internal parts. Whew!
Only the screws need some grease. Polished it up a little and put it back together.
My boy was complaining of the Nev-r-Dull stink.
I am leaving it as is.
Best I can tell, this reel is from the 30's.
Not too shabby for a 80 plus year old reel.
It is Therapeutic just holding it and cranking. It purrs like a kitten.
I owe you one Mike. ;)
Life is Good!