Penn Battle 4000 crank problem. Need help!

Started by Tgr23, November 03, 2016, 04:38:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tgr23

I've been using my Penn Battle 4000 this fall for blitzing bass and just started to have some cranking problems.  I've just been tossing 2 oz shads.  When I crank it feels like it's binding.  I pulled it apart (All the grease was in there from last winters maintenance and nothing seemed out of the normal).  Suggestions on what might be amiss?

Thanks,
Travis

johndtuttle

Quote from: Tgr23 on November 03, 2016, 04:38:56 PM
I've been using my Penn Battle 4000 this fall for blitzing bass and just started to have some cranking problems.  I've just been tossing 2 oz shads.  When I crank it feels like it's binding.  I pulled it apart (All the grease was in there from last winters maintenance and nothing seemed out of the normal).  Suggestions on what might be amiss?

Thanks,
Travis

How old is the reel? As the gear train wears it can need an additional shim to put it back into proper tolerance. But mostly too much trouble as properly shimming the reel takes some art.

Check the side to side play in the handle. There should be some but not too much.

If you are going to pull it apart be sure to mark the rotor and rotor nut so that it goes back the same tightness. This adjusts the meshing of the gears too and if you put them back too tight they can feel grindy.

Regardless, replacement main and pinion is $15 and is an easy drop in if they are the issue.

akfish

You could also have a bad anti-reverse bearing. That's quite common in saltwater but maybe not so common in freshwater.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

Tgr23

The reel is about three years old but has gotten light use until this fall.  It was working fine until half way through a day of heavy action.  I assume that would rule out the rotor and rotor nut incorrect tightness.  I would be surprised as heck if the main gear was worn out considering the light use.  One thing I was reading was that maybe we've been spraying it down to hard and I should really pull it apart and reload with grease.

But it does have a bearing feel. Where is the anti-reverse bearing?  But the real is only used on a our boat and has never been dunked in salt water, so it could almost be classified a freshwater reel.

Thanks for the ideas.

mizmo67

If it happened under heavy load...the #39 shaft could be bent, so there's something to check.
~Mo

Maureen Albertson :)
Scott's Bait & Tackle / Mystic Reel Parts (Formerly PennParts.com)
Contact Me Via Store Website Please!
Orders/Support# +1 (609) 488-4637 (parts ordering or troubleshooting)
customerservice@mysticparts.com

FatTuna

The reel being used on a boat does not rule out saltwater intrusion. A lot of reels get sprayed with saltwater as they sit in the rod holders as the boat is moving.

Could be a lot of things. It could be a shot bearing. I'd start off by tearing down the reel. The battles have bearings that are easily serviceable. The shields are pressed in. You can take a small fishing hook and pull them out. Soak in carb cleaner. Then hit them with a little keyboard duster. Once dry you can relube. Roll each one in your fingers and see if it feels gritty. There is a bearing on either side of the main gear and one on either side of the pinon gear.

Check to make sure the roller on the bail is turning. Might need a new bearing in there.

As mentioned, it could be a anti-reverse failure. If it is bleeding rust when you take it out, just get a new one.

The battle has pretty weak gears. They can strip/wear out. If the teeth look damaged at all, you will need a new set. I like to replace all three together. Main, pinon, and crosswind.

It could just need a really good cleaning if some water got in.

Make sure the side plate is on tight enough. If it's loose the main gear will have too much play making the reel grind.

Tgr23

I ordered some parts (suggested here) since I'm going to tear it down and hopefully something will show it's self during the process.

I originally got the real for Fluking but it's seeing much heavier bass now.  Is this real outgunned for that application?  If so what's a good step up reel for fall blitzes?  I know there's a million answers but if anyone wanted to toss out their favs that would be awesome. Under $175.  Just for Stripers and blues.

Thanks again!

FatTuna

You are talking about striped bass correct? If you are landing 40 inch fish, I'd say you are a bit outgunned. It's not that you can't land nice fish on that reel but it's that you are putting more stress on the components. That reel is fine for mid-sized bass but not big ones. Would make a good fluke reel. 

I know a lot of fishermen that like to chase big stripers with light tackle. Stradic 4ks and 5ks, Cabo 50s, etc. Their stuff is always breaking. Stripped gears, worn bearings, slipping clutches, etc. 

Personally, I like 6000 sized Shimanos for big stripers. The Saragosa is an excellent reel.

MarkT

A 4000 series Battle is the size of a 5000 series Shimano.  I have a Battle 6000 (size of a 8000 Shimano)  and have landed 30# Yellowtail and Yellowfin. It has 300 yds of 50# spectra and a 40# mono leader. No issues with it. My next step up in a spinner is a Saragosa 10k with 400 yds of 65# Maxcuatro and an 80# leader.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Hadge

Tgr23,  I had the same problem and solved it with this,
           Replaced the main gear ,pinion gear and cross block. Now it works great.

Good luck
Hadge

Tgr23

Exactly what I ordered Hodge.  and a couple of other parts just to be safe.  Fingers crossed.  I'm going to try and pick up a bit of a bigger reel this weekend also.
Thanks

mike1010

Lots of folks knock these reels, but I've got a 4000 that is a trooper.  It's four or five years old, has been to the bottom of the ocean, and has taken many bluefish and stripers up to an honest 20 lbs.  This fall it is getting a great workout from the hot bass bite in Raritan Bay, and is only now beginning to feel a little rough in the gear train.

Mike