Spooling hollowcore on big game reels

Started by FatTuna, November 10, 2016, 04:28:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FatTuna

I've done that technique before with the weight. You can reel it in. You just throw it in low gear. You don't want the boat moving fast. That's a good point about the salt though. That can't be good to have all that deep in the spool. Didn't think of that. The dacron especially soaks up water.

I own the busted fishing winder. To be honest, I'm not too impressed with it. It tends to tighten and loosen on it's own no matter how much I tighten it. Mine looks like it wasn't anodized properly. It developed all these spots on it.

I also owned one of the south Chatham tackle spoolers. I wasn't too content with that one either. It was advertised as being able to hold a 5lb spool but the shaft bent after the first use. The threads on the shaft all deformed. The drag it put out wasn't very smooth. I had one of the more basic models. Another thing I didn't like about it was that it didn't mount to anything.

Those two spoolers are fine for smaller reels. Worked okay with my 20lb and 30lb class reels.

conchydong

I have heard a lot of positive reviews about the Bees Knees manual line spoolers. I do not have any personal experience with them as I still do the reel to reel method. Perhaps our Aussie or Kiwi members can chime in on their quality.

FatTuna

I bought this spooler last winter. I installed it on a wooden board in the unfinished part of my basement. I had it for approximately two weeks and started to look like this. It's gotten progressively worse. It still works but it just looks ugly now. I think I paid around $250 for it. That included the rod holder adapter and international shipping.

I'm not sure if it's bad anodizing or what.

FatTuna

In all fairness to the bees knees spooler, the issue only presented itself after I was working with it on a really humid night. Had the garage and back door open. The condensation triggered whatever the issue is. I mean the device is advertised as being used on a boat with the rod adapter mount...... I probably should have sent it back but it's kind of late for that.