Reels can clean up nice!

Started by JoseCuervo, August 27, 2018, 01:55:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JoseCuervo

I saw this older 109 and decided to take a chance on it. From the (auction) pics I didn't see much wrong with it, but I couldn't see what was right with it either.

I hadn't held a 109 in my hand in years and had forgotten about the freespool being unlike most Penn's and thought I had a broken reel on my hands. It did spin freely, both ways. The clicker ring looks a bit bent for some reason (about 5 o'clock) and that is my only issue with the reel. I don't want to mess with it, but it does make the clicker hard to engage and disengage.

Other than being completely dry, it was in very nice shape internally, I have more pics than these but you've seen Penn guts before.

To Be Continued next post.

JoseCuervo

A bit of vinegar and some kerosene, grease, and an hour of time and things were right as rain.

I think it likely might not have ever been fished even with the line on it, that stuff nearly turned to powder when I unspooled it. I have never seen line that white before.

You never know what may lie under the dirt, some people find gold!

Rob

JoseCuervo

The handle knobs could use some help, did they coat those with varnish or did this reel catch a drop along  the way?

George6308

No varnish bet it's just old dried up Penn reel lube.

JoseCuervo

Quote from: George6308 on August 27, 2018, 02:17:13 AM
No varnish bet it's just old dried up Penn reel lube.

Thanks, I have seen WD40 do that. If that is the case, they must have missed the guts and put it all on the handle!  :o Would you believe me if I said the worm gear was totally dry and spotless? I didn't even bother to clean it in any way. It is in this pic, not cleaned.

David Hall

Excellent find and great job bringing it back.

mo65

~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Donnyboat

Nice job Jose, great find, thanks for showing, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

xjchad

Husband, Father, Fisherman

vilters

cleaned up great! nice job. just like opening a gift Christmas morning. I picked up what appears to be an unfished, older 114h, haven't decided if to clean off the grime/old lube on the outside yet...

Donnyboat

Vilters, if you do clean it in vinegar & water,50/50 mix, dont leave it in anymore than 30 min before you start scrubing it, or you may over cook it, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

vilters

Hey Don, thanks for the tip, I have had chrome flake off using vinegar, will dilute next time. don't need it for this reel, no corrosion, just congealed lube/grime.