Drag washer Penn International II 30 and 50

Started by Ron_Wade, November 15, 2016, 03:36:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron_Wade

I have several Penn Internationals and want to replace the drag washers. I have seen online that the drag washer is available without the drive plate. I'm not sure of the procedure to replace the washer. I called Penn and they recommend replacing both.  I am looking for a procedure to follow and what adhesive I need to use.  I appreciate any help or recommendation you may have.
30 TW and 50TW

Tightlines667

Ron,

As you have already noted, there are a couple of options for drag upgrades on each of your reels.  

If you can find the CF drag discs (w/o integral pressure plates) online (maybe JDL Treasures on EBay?), I would buy them and install as an upgrade.  
Here is some info regarding these version...

https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/Parts/6/1-30.aspx

https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/Parts/117D-50.aspx

It should be cheaper, easier, and you achieve the desired results.  All you have to do is remove the old asbestos washers, remove the 4 screws, and the metal discs on the old pressure plates, and screw the new CF discs in place.  A little blue Loctite is recomended on these screws, and you should grease the CF discs w/Cal's drag grease and wipe clean before final assembly.  

While you are at it, clean, then check all bearings, and replace any that exhibit any felt roughness, and replace any other worn parts such as your clicker ratchet plates or pawls.  New belleville washers will help to restore the factory- correct drag curves, and shims may help to maintain proper freespool/spool spacing.

Alternatively you can follow the recommendations at Scott's Bait & Tackle to upgrade to DuraDrags.  These likely reaquire new spool shaft/pinion gears (more expensive) as well.

https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/Parts/117DN-30.aspx

https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/Parts/117DN-50.aspx

Have a look around our site, and Scott's to find more info on the drag upgrade options, and servicing recommendations.  I attached your reel schematics to this post as well.

LMK if you have any specific questions.

Keep us posted on progress

&

Good Luck!

John

Mods...
Can you move this over to the Penn International Section?

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

handi2

John the Penn 117DN Dura Drag will fit right in with no other parts needed on those reels. No change in the pinion gear.

I used the TW reels for many years.

Keith
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Tightlines667

Quote from: handi2 on November 16, 2016, 12:57:10 AM
John the Penn 117DN Dura Drag will fit right in with no other parts needed on those reels. No change in the pinion gear.

I used the TW reels for many years.

Keith

I have only done a duradrag upgrade on q-50 sized older international, and it did not require a new pinion.  All tye other drag upgrades on older/smaller internationals were the 4th gen cf drags I obtained locally.  So thanks for clarifying. 

Still, these discs may be somewhat more cost effective if you can find them.
Hope springs eternal

Ron_Wade

I believe you are correct. The TW 30 is 117DN30 which is a drive plate with drag washer. Since Johns post I have been looking around and the part is pretty expensive if I have to buy multiples. I was hoping to be able to just replace the drag washer on the existing drive plate but not sure I can do that. I guess that is wishful thinking.  Any ideas about that. Both post have been extremely helpful and I appreciate the responses.
Ron

handi2

I may have just the drag plate's that will replace the friction washer.

The shop is packed so if I forget to look please PM me.

Keith
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Tightlines667

Quote from: Ron_Wade on November 16, 2016, 01:26:46 AM
I believe you are correct. The TW 30 is 117DN30 which is a drive plate with drag washer. Since Johns post I have been looking around and the part is pretty expensive if I have to buy multiples. I was hoping to be able to just replace the drag washer on the existing drive plate but not sure I can do that. I guess that is wishful thinking.  Any ideas about that. Both post have been extremely helpful and I appreciate the responses.
Ron

Yes, the 4th gen drags were CF discs (already glued to plates w/screw holes).  They are usually cheaper to replace then upgrading to the duradrags.  Keith may have what you want, othereise check the EBay seller listed above ( seller:jdltreasures1).  He is also an AT member.  I think I saw he has a few in stock.  You could also PM, Ebay-message, or email him.

Here is your 50 drag washer...

http://m.ebay.com/itm/302099487598

You could message him and see if he has a 6A-30 in stock as well (nit currently listed).

John
Hope springs eternal

Robert Janssen

Quote from: handi2 on November 16, 2016, 04:58:53 PM
I may have just the drag plate's that will replace the friction washer.

The shop is packed so if I forget to look please PM me.

Keith

Right, *headsmack* I just got back from my shop; i just completely forgot that i intended to check how many i have. Will do tomorrow.

In the meantime, my own 50TW has the one-piece drive disc with bonded HT-100. I happen to know however, that the two-piece sub-assembly of drive disc + HT-100 washer with screw holes also fits; no changes required. They are dimensionally the same. I also happen to know that the HT-100 on the bonded disc can be removed and replaced as was suggested in the OP.

foakes

Here are a couple of 6/1-50 that were the predecessor to the 6/A-50 -- it is a straight fit.

And a couple of 30s.

Sounds like you have it covered with all of the responses -- but if you get stuck with no stock in shops -- let me know.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Ron_Wade

The parts diagram that John attached are the reels I have. I was able to locate the drive plate w/drag washers for what I need at the moment. These reels have a metal drag plate with 4 screws and the drive plate with the drag washer secured. I won't get them all done this first round but will get the most critical ones first. This site is fantastic and I really appreciate the help you have provided.