Metalloid 5ns Pulsing drags at the max drag from the factory

Started by WalterWyman, September 21, 2016, 01:08:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WalterWyman

Hey guys and gals,
I have a customer that has me work on his reels. He is pro staff
From Okuma. He brought a reel that he said pulsed when the line was pulling out!
The standard Cleaning and really cleaned the drag washer and used cal's grease, the thing is perfect.
When checking it out on the web it has 15 lbs max drag at strike. So I put it on the winder
And set the drag at 15 and then and only then did I feel the surging.   Was wondering if this was just
a thing of running the reel at max or or this a thing of the spool not being perfectly flat, or something like that!
The boss wants to push the metaloid line but wants me to know the reel inside out! Any ideas are
Welcomed!  Thanks!

Wally
"You said the grinding sound just started after leaving it sit wet for 1 year?" I see.....

boon

Maybe the left side spool bearing approaching its limits?

I modified my 5Ns with an angular contact bearing in the right side plate, managed to get 27lb at Full out of it but it killed the left spool bearing instead.

WalterWyman

Thanks, I will check that bearing again I appreciate your
Help in this!
"You said the grinding sound just started after leaving it sit wet for 1 year?" I see.....

boon

It's a tricky one because the bearing may behave completely fine with no load on it.
I'm trying to figure out a way to put a thrust bearing (a la Okuma SLX) in the left side, I think it will be possible if I do away with the clicker assembly but we will see.

Rancanfish

Any possibility a bubble of corrosion pushing up under the drag washer itself?
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

WalterWyman

That is on of the things I thought of but the CF drag washer was removed and there were no salt build ups! That why I thought of the old internationals before they were cal sheeted. Thanks for asking!

SoCalAngler

15 lbs at strike is max drag for these reels, so if it is starting to get sticky at this drag pressure that sounds about right to me. Several people I know bought these reels to fish 40 lb test on and have since switched their topshots to 30 lb. The 6.4/1 gearing is a bit fast for around 13 lbs of drag where many fish a 40 lb test reel. Now the two speeds would fish 40 lb better but I would not exceed 13 lbs at strike. If I had a Metalloid 5 II most likely I would set my drags around 9-10 lbs at strike. That way if I did hook something which needed more drag I could push the lever a little ways past strike, get the 13 lbs and still have the drags buttery smooth.

IMO these are great little reels but I feel they were never meant to fish over 40 lb test toppers which for me means 13 lbs at strike max, but run better and will last longer without problems when fished like I stated above.

WalterWyman