My First Sailfish....

Started by ijlal, November 23, 2016, 08:31:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ijlal

Caught this 88 lb sail on November 5 to break Pakistan's previous all-tackle record of 83.5 lb that had remained unbroken for the last 18 years!

Cheers ;D

I live 'fishing'!

HOLEINTHEWATER

conchydong

Way to go on your first and it also being a National record. Sailfish are great smoked BTW.

ReelFishingProblems

handi2

That is a huge Sailfish. Florida waters dont even get close.

Congratulations!!
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

David Hall

Tightlines667

Congratulations!  

An all tackle record on one of the most popular sportsfish species in the world is quite the achievement.

Now that you've got it figured out, maybe you could target some other regional line class records?  Don't you guys have a few of those Roundscale Spearfish (formerly known as 'Hatchet Marlin') plying those waters?
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

foakes

Congratulations on a great accomplishment!

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

alantani

congratulations!  when you get a chance, tell us about the tackle you used!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

ijlal

Thank you for your kind comments guys!
I live 'fishing'!

Bill B

Congratulations Ijlal.....that is one fine fish.......can you tell us about the tackle you used.....rod, reel, line and lure?  Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

ijlal

Quote from: alantani on November 23, 2016, 04:43:20 PM
congratulations!  when you get a chance, tell us about the tackle you used!

Quote from: TARFU on November 23, 2016, 06:27:23 PM
Congratulations Ijlal.....that is one fine fish.......can you tell us about the tackle you used.....rod, reel, line and lure?  Bill

Hi Alan, Bill,

Thank you!

The rod was a Shimano Tallus 6' Stand up, 60-100 lb (all Aftco roller) mated with my Okuma Titus Gold TG30-II. I have it filled with 80lb 8-strand Chinese braid. The lure was a (half-destroyed) blue and white Moldcraft Standard Wide Range with a Moldcraft Standard Bird (3-4 feet ahead.) The lure was destroyed by a marlin earlier, long before I became owner of the lure.

I must admit it was overkill, but then my target was a much bigger marlin...

Cheers!
I live 'fishing'!

steelfish

congratulations amigo

nice fish you got there, tons of good meat
The Baja Guy

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

ijlal

Quote from: Tightlines666 on November 23, 2016, 04:32:54 PM
Congratulations!  

An all tackle record on one of the most popular sportsfish species in the world is quite the achievement.

Now that you've got it figured out, maybe you could target some other regional line class records?  Don't you guys have a few of those Roundscale Spearfish (formerly known as 'Hatchet Marlin') plying those waters?

Thanks! I do hold the 20 lb line class cobia record I made back in 1995. That was one mean fish of 123 lb! It took a redhead Rapala CD26 trolled on a 15-40lb Penn Power Stik and a Daiwa LD50H. As far as I know it is the only 1:6 line to fish weight ratio catch on record down here.

The roundscale spearfish you have mentioned is an Atlantic fish found off the coast of North-West Africa. Here, we do have the shortbill spearfish, broadbill swordfish, and black, striped and Indo-Pacific blue marlins.

Fishing for billfish is in its infancy here. No more than 20 recorded billfish have been caught to-date using ethical angling standards. The continental shelf is quite far away, and with lack of adequate facilities and good boats, it is a very costly sport. I myself go out on small local wooden, open boats, hired from a fishing village some thirty-five odd miles from here, then sailing 5 hours at max average speed of 6 knots to reach 100 meters depths to keep it affordable. I surely would try to target other species of billfish, as and when I am able to.

Have a nice day!
I live 'fishing'!