Shimano Ultegra vs Bullseye vs Baitrunner LC vs Aero

Started by fresh2salt, August 17, 2017, 05:37:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fresh2salt

Can someone tell me the difference between these reels and which one is preferred for distance, drag, and capcity, in that order as far as importance. I'm looking to get one of these reels for dunking maybe 1-6oz weights from the shoreline and ledges for mostly GT and bonefish here in Hawaii. The rod I plan on using is an Okuma Nomad Travel Surf rod, (10', H, MF). Most likely I'll be getting The Ultegra, Baitrunner, or Bullseye but will be considering the non-high-end Aero's costing less than 350. The top of the line ones are above my budget. Reliability and sturdiness would be great as I think I'll be getting these on ebay and some of these are not available in the U.S market. I prefer to not spend an arm and a leg to send them in for repair overseas, so i'll be maintaining the reel myself.

Gfish

Can only speak to the Ultegra for sure, which I have now. Basically a "plastic" reel that's well designed IMO and casts a-long way with my set-up(40lb. braid, 10ft. mono leader, 10.5 ft. Surf/rock rod). But, I'm not gonna target heavies(e.g., ulua) or use more'n 3 oz. weights. The reel don't seem to me to be tough enough. It's a great distance caster, has good line cap. but higher drag pullin fights might torque the rotor/shaft too much. Had a S. Baitrunner (older model) and didn't like the way the stem(part connecting the gear box to the reel seat) would torque under even moderate drag pull. Don't know about the newer ones, but aside from the torque thing, was a nice reel.
Live on Kaua'i and I think guy's surf fishin, slide baitin, etc., with Newells and Penn 4/0's got the right idea for set-ups, when it comes to GT's or other "heavies", My deal is active castin, which usually means 1/2-3oz. plugs.
Gfish
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

fresh2salt

The fishing style I'm aiming for will be more along the line of that you just talked about. I want a dual purpose rod that gets distance, i guess more for distance whipping. When I'm done doing that or wanna take a break I want to be able to just cast out far one mlre time then set the rod down on a spike. I won't be using it for sliding. I'm not looking to slide at the moment. I'll probably get an okuma hcs 13' foot for that when I start, maybe a penn carnage ulua. The guys at Charley's here on oahu were recommending that for me over the Nitros.

Gfish

Cool, I be whippin, and you be a whippin! Also, the ultegra's got felt drag washers, which'er probably functional, but I replaced mine with carbon-tex. With the plastic body parts and probably weak drive train components, you'ed need a real high functioning drag. The weight factor for such a large reel(model 14000 XTD) is another good aspect to it(light!).
Gfish
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

CapeFish

no personal experience of any of these models, but these reels now get widely used here in South Africa by shore league anglers going after big fish and the ultegra has been found wanting and the Bullseye and Saragossa are now preferred tools.

fresh2salt

Quote from: CapeFish on August 18, 2017, 08:08:45 AM
no personal experience of any of these models, but these reels now get widely used here in South Africa by shore league anglers going after big fish and the ultegra has been found wanting and the Bullseye and Saragossa are now preferred tools.

Right on. Thanks. It's hard choosing between the four, wanting a long cast but not wanting to pay over $300. I would consider paying more if it met all my requirements. I was sorta leaning towards the Ultegra, but I hear it doesn't do too well with the sand.

Now I am really curious about the Baitrunner LC... But, I am definitely glad to hear great things about the Bullseye. I read that it is a better workhorse and is a little more forgiving when dealing with the conditions that I may be fishing in. Thanks again.

fresh2salt

Quote from: Gfish on August 18, 2017, 03:20:48 AM
Cool, I be whippin, and you be a whippin! Also, the ultegra's got felt drag washers, which'er probably functional, but I replaced mine with carbon-tex. With the plastic body parts and probably weak drive train components, you'ed need a real high functioning drag. The weight factor for such a large reel(model 14000 XTD) is another good aspect to it(light!).
Gfish

I am considering the 1400 XTD because it has the super slow oscillation, but I am on the fence because of what I've been reading about how finicky it is around sand. Also, do you know how the XTD compares to the XTB and the XTC?