Running of the Bull's Pensacola

Started by handi2, November 25, 2016, 08:34:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

handi2

Here are a couple of pictures from a quick trip this morning. After dropping the boat lift it was a 3 minute run to the fish. Right in my back yard!

OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Dominick

I never heard of a Bull fish.  Are they good eating?  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

mizmo67

Pretty day out there on the water, plus being on the fish? = Heaven.
~Mo

Maureen Albertson :)
Scott's Bait & Tackle / Mystic Reel Parts (Formerly PennParts.com)
Contact Me Via Store Website Please!
Orders/Support# +1 (609) 488-4637 (parts ordering or troubleshooting)
customerservice@mysticparts.com

STRIPER LOU

Man, those are some beauties! :o Looks like you had some company. I have never caught any but its on my list. Are they good fighters and good eating Keith?
..........................Lou

Aiala

Nice fish! From the profile, I'd hazard a guess that it's some sort of croaker or drum. Could be superb eating!   :)

~A~
I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

Shark Hunter

Bull Reds are pretty common in the Panhandle. Glad you got out on the water Keith.
We could see your house from here when John caught this one.

Life is Good!

oc1

Nice reds Keith.  Spawning season is winding down but they're still bunched up and hungry.  
-steve

Bill B

Good job to you and the boys....did they make the slot size?   Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

handi2

All the Redfish are over the 28" size limit. I did all the running as usual.

Pompano Joe was using a little Ambassaduer reel. My friend Davey was using a Quantum Smoke 50. Joe had his reel modified of course and it was whipping the spinning reel in time to the boat.

His black Ambassaduer had the Carbontex set and ground flat metal set from Dawn at Smooth Drag.

Gulf Breeze, FL

steelfish

Quote from: handi2 on November 25, 2016, 11:33:19 PM

Pompano Joe was using a little Ambassaduer reel. My friend Davey was using a Quantum Smoke 50. Joe had his reel modified of course and it was whipping the spinning reel in time to the boat.

great Bulls Keith,  on another topic, what mods have Joe on his abu reel?
Im fan of the ambassaduer reels and always interested on any mod to make them bit better
The Baja Guy

handi2

Gulf Breeze, FL

sdlehr

It's my understanding the redfish (Red Drum) are good eating, but once they are over 18-20 inches they are old enough to get pretty wormy, and the prep grosses a lot of people out. I don't want to eat worms with my fish, not even cooked worms. I'm selective about my protein sources. I have no firsthand experience here, just book knowledge.

Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

pompano joe

The Ambassador I used today was the 6500 Pro Rocket Black Edition.  Keith is my parts supplier and already mentioned the drag upgrade.  In addition this reel has the 6.3:1 High Speed gear set, ceramic spool bearings and a custom handle.  It's one of my surf fishing reels and is spooled with 20# High Seas Black Widow and a 40# shock leader.  I highly recommend the drag upgrade.  Ambassador's have always had a challenging drag, IMHO.  But the ground flat metals, Carbontex fibers and Cal's met the challenge with the beast today. 

Thanks Keith, for a great day chasing the bulls.  That's my kind of Black Friday traffic jam!

Quote from: steelfish on November 25, 2016, 11:37:44 PM
Quote from: handi2 on November 25, 2016, 11:33:19 PM

great Bulls Keith,  on another topic, what mods have Joe on his abu reel?
Im fan of the ambassaduer reels and always interested on any mod to make them bit better

Pompano Joe

steelfish

that is a nice abu

this is mine which is also 80% of the time used as surf reel, is an old abu 6500c3, with carbontex drags, abec7 bearings, and a shimano handle (filed to fit), filled with 50# braid and use 20# mono line leaders when casting light lures and 30# leader for bait fishing or 2oz/3oz spoons

this was my light boat reel for some time, but got me a saltist 20H and a calcutta 400TE and they took that place on the boat
The Baja Guy

pompano joe

Our slot on Red Fish is 18-27 inches here in NW Florida, Sid.  Very unusual here to see worms in the slot fish.  I've never eating a larger Red, but would assume they toughen up like the larger Black Drum. 

Quote from: sdlehr on November 25, 2016, 11:49:05 PM
It's my understanding the redfish (Red Drum) are good eating, but once they are over 18-20 inches they are old enough to get pretty wormy, and the prep grosses a lot of people out. I don't want to eat worms with my fish, not even cooked worms. I'm selective about my protein sources. I have no firsthand experience here, just book knowledge.

Sid
Pompano Joe