Freezer is stocked again

Started by Newell Nut, November 29, 2016, 04:55:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Newell Nut

I finished my last pack of venison two weeks before the season opened. Got the freezer restocked again and my sister's freezer restocked. I catch or kill most of what I eat. The pictured deer and one more doe were taken recently from a northern popcorn farm.

David Hall

Very nice, that's a big heavy bodied buck.  I didn't get to hunt this season due to health concerns but they're all behind me now and I'm really going to miss the venison steaks.  Already started planning our 2017 hunts though. 

Cone

Nice deer! I went the Monday before Thanksgiving. Deer season wasn't open but we did see a few. We were after hogs. We saw a ton of fresh sign and heard them grunting but they wouldn't come out of the thick stuff and play.  :(  Maybe next time.
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

Dominick

Nice Dwight.  I miss my deer hunting trips.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

broadway

Nice haul there, Dwight... you and many others will be eating good for the winter.
Nice buck as David said, he's got some shoulders!
Enjoy your kill,
Dom

broschro

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Shark Hunter

I never cared for Deer Steak until a local Indiana Boy from Work brought some to me years ago.
He told me the gamey taste comes from sawing through the bones when cutting the deer up.
Don't know if its true, but I know that was the best deer steak I ever had.
Nice Haul there Dwight. ;)
Life is Good!

Newell Nut

The only steaks that I cut are from the back strap. I then debone all the rest of the meat and ice it in coolers for a week while it bleeds out good and then grind it. Makes great lean burgers, chili, sausage and spaghetti sauce.

David Hall

I grind the front shoulders, make the neck meat into jerky, and the hind quarters get cut into steaks.
Backstraps,  mmmmmm good.

HOLEINTHEWATER

NICE DEER. I MISS MY ELK AND DEER HUNTING. DON'T MISS THE PACKING IT OUT. THATS WHY I SHOOT SPORTING CLAYS. GO GET PIZZA AND BEER AFTERWARDS.
DAVE

Newell Nut

Good points. I was thinking of a moose hunt a few years ago and a friend of mine that had been on a moose hunt said it was a wonderful experience until he shot the thing. He said he would never do it again. The packing out of meat in rough country can be tough. Deer on the corn farm is a lot easier and very productive.