Spring thrust washers?

Started by jzumi, December 15, 2016, 09:36:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jzumi

Servicing my buddy's MXL 5.8, following the excellent tutorial.  My friend bought this reel brand new from OPS and this is the first time it's been serviced.  When I disassembled the reel, the 2 spring thrust washers were not present.  No, they weren't stuck to the bearings.  They appear to be MIA.

This reel has landed many salmon and has performed flawlessly this way.  Should I go through the trouble to obtain and install the washers or just put it back the way it was?

I'm no seasoned pro so be gentle with your suggestions.  Third grade reading level appreciated, too!  Apologies to any non-gentle third graders.

Thanks,
John

Tightlines667

Quote from: jzumi on December 15, 2016, 09:36:53 PM
Servicing my buddy's MXL 5.8, following the excellent tutorial.  My friend bought this reel brand new from OPS and this is the first time it's been serviced.  When I disassembled the reel, the 2 spring thrust washers were not present.  No, they weren't stuck to the bearings.  They appear to be MIA.

This reel has landed many salmon and has performed flawlessly this way.  Should I go through the trouble to obtain and install the washers or just put it back the way it was?

I'm no seasoned pro so be gentle with your suggestions.  Third grade reading level appreciated, too!  Apologies to any non-gentle third graders.

Thanks,
John

I am really surprised yo hear the reel has no Belleville washers in it.  These washers, along with the drag cam ramp are what give the reel its characteristic drag curve.  Not sure how you can maintain adequete spacing without the bellevilles.  A picture of all of the washers and parts along the spool shaft would be useful to see whats going on here.  Having said that, If you/he is happy with the rel's percormance as it is.  No reason to go messin it up.  Personally, I almost always replace belleville washers when I service lever drags, in order to put the reel back to its factory-correct drag curve.

Good luck!
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

MarkT

Are you sure they're missing?  They aren't very big and are on the spool shaft.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

jzumi

The missing ones are the spring thrust washers, not the bellevilles.  The washers are listed as # 16 and #18 on the Avet parts scheme, one on each side of the spool thrust spring.

Quote from: Tightlines666 on December 15, 2016, 10:05:09 PM

Thanks,
John

I am really surprised yo hear the reel has no Belleville washers in it.  These washers, along with the drag cam ramp are what give the reel its characteristic drag curve.  Not sure how you can maintain adequete spacing without the bellevilles.  A picture of all of the washers and parts along the spool shaft would be useful to see whats going on here.  Having said that, If you/he is happy with the rel's percormance as it is.  No reason to go messin it up.  Personally, I almost always replace belleville washers when I service lever drags, in order to put the reel back to its factory-correct drag curve.

Good luck!

Tightlines667

Quote from: jzumi on December 16, 2016, 04:29:33 PM
The missing ones are the spring thrust washers, not the bellevilles.  The washers are listed as # 16 and #18 on the Avet parts scheme, one on each side of the spool thrust spring.

Quote from: Tightlines666 on December 15, 2016, 10:05:09 PM

Thanks,
John

Good luck!

I wouldn't worry about those.  They are basically shims/spacers.  If the reel is functioning properly now, they are not needed.

John
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Bryan Young

Oh those, they are essentially to ensure that the spring will not bind with the spool.  They are not necessary but I would still contact Avet to let them know...maybe they will send you a couple when you do decide to take the reel apart again.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

MarkT

I see those as #15 on the MXL 5.8 schematic. Yeah, you can probably (and have been) live without them.  I'd get them and put them back in anyway.  I guess it's possible that they could be stuck to the bearings on either side and you didn't notice them.  Those tiny washers do that sometimes.  It's only when they fall off that I even realize they were there.

15 - Spool SpringWasher (2 req.) MXL5.8-015
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

jzumi

Many thanks for the responses.  I believe I'll do like Bryan suggests: order them and do the install at the next servicing.

I appreciate all the input!

Cheers,
John