Another 650ss question - 'New' oscillating slide block increases spool play

Started by zward, April 11, 2012, 01:06:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zward

I have 3 of these penn 650ss that I'm in the process of repairing and these are my first crack at spinners, so I greatly appreciate the help. Anyway, on the one I put together last night, upon teardown I noticed to old oscillating slider block was badly corroded and looked in tough shape. Now I figured these parts dont need the precision of a gearset in there function, and would probably work ok as is, but just didn't feel comfortable putting a part that was that worn back in the reel. I ordered up a replacement from mysticparts, no big deal. The thing I notice is on the new oscillating slider, the grove in the bottom where the post on the oscillating gear rides is ovalled out on each side, opposed to the old one which is a straight slot. I'm guessing this is to increase 'smoothness' as the gear is turned and the post travels back and forth through the slot. Only thing is now with the larger slot there is increased vertical play in the spool shaft and spool, probably about 3 times as much as before.

Any of you have any experience with this? Is there a new oscillating gear with a larger post that should be used as well? I'll try to post pics later

Thanks a ton for any help!
Zane

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"

Alto Mare

How much play are we talking about? I checked my 430ss-550ss-650/6500ss-750-7500ss-850ss and 9500ss, all have a little less that 1/8" play. You don't want it to be tight, Penn had a tight design on the 650m, using a screw to hold the shaft and changed it back to the original. Did you button down the drag before testing? Also, did you order the right part#43-750 , this part will also work on the 745-750/7500-and 850/8500.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

zward

It's definitely more than the 1/8" or so.. I know what you talking about though, the other two 650ss's I have have that same 1/8" or less play you're talking about. This is substantely more, and looking at it its definitely due to the difference in oscillating slider slots. The part I ordered is 43N-750M, which is supposed to be fine for the 650 according to the mysticparts site, as the original is discontinued. And it seems to be fine, the only time you notice is if you pull upward on the spool you can feel significantly more play (1/4"+). I'll try to post pictures of the two different oscillating sliders but the old one is just a straight slot across, and the new one kinds of looks like a bowtie as its ovaled out slightly on each side of the channel. Neither have the screw to hold the shaft either, I think the original in the reel was before that design and the new one is what they changed back to.

I'm wondering if when they went from a straight slot on the slider to the ovaled out one they also changed the post on the oscillating gear?

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"

zward

Also not sure if it matters but this is the original 650ss, my uncle said my grandpa got them 30 years ago or so. Hard to believe they were still 'fishable' with zero maintenece in between now and then...

Alto Mare

Ok I see what's going on, no need for pictures. The original crosswind gear is part #231-650, unfortunately Penn doesn't stock this part anymore, that's why they sent you part #43-750M. You have the older brass crosswind gear #231-650, this part will only work with the crosswind part# 43-750. You have two options, you could exchange the part# 43-750M for 43-750, or you could order the crosswind gear# 231-650M. The brass gear is much better.
To make things easier: parts with the letter "M" go together and parts without the letter go together.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

zward

Ah that makes sense, I figured there'd have to be another crosswind gear to make that bloxk work, and suprise if I would have scrolled down a little when I first ordered the new block they offer the 43N-750M/231-650M gear/block KIT just for the 650ss. I'll order up a couple gears, needed to get new drag washers anyway..

Thanks very much for the help!

Another question for you about the penn's, on your penn 650/750/6500ss do they wobble a little more than your average new spinner when you crank the handle really fast let it spin?? At first I thought I might have a bent spool shaft on one but it seems like this is the case on all of them I have. Nothing real bad and you only notice it after you give it super fast crank and let it spin.

-Zane

Alto Mare

Zane, there is just a little wobble. I believe that all spinners would,  if you let go of the handle. If you get a chance, take a look by the welcome board on the 7th page and check out the custom rod & reel cabinet, that should give you an idea on how much I like these reels ;). I'm going to recommend a new knob, it will make a noticeable difference.
I like this one:http://www.ebay.com/itm/POWER-KNOB-FOR-PENN-DAIWA-SHIMANO-ACCURATE-AVET-REEL-HANDLE-/120827190024?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c21dc9b08
You might also want to check with Dawn at smoothdrags.com, she might also have them in stock.
Make your Grandpa proud and enjoy those reels, they won't let you down. Sal

zward

Gotcha yeah they're fine.. Thats quite the collection!! I was thinking about putting some new handles/knobs on these, thanks for the suggestion. I cant believe these have held up as good as they have, just last year we were still using them for inshore/offshore fishing in southwest florida.. My old man bought a new boat so we're in the process of setting it up, I have 3 650ss's and might get another one/two, as for a saltwater spinner you can't beat the simplicity and reliability of these things.

Thanks again for the help!
Zane

Alto Mare

Glad to help Zane. You mentioned that you were going to order some Ht100's, get some extras and replace the teflon washers as well.
The 56T-650 teflon gets replaced with 6-155, for under the spool replace  the 60-750 teflon washer with 6-60.  Now you will have all HT100's, just add a touch of cal's grease and you're set to go. The drag knob with seal is also a good upgrade, part #52N-650N.

zward

Yup I looked around the site and saw where you guys where swapping out all the washers for HT-100's so thats what I went ahead and did. I'll look into the drag knob seals, I've put some cal's grease under there for now, hopefully that'll help.  I'm sure the 3 new HT-100's much smoother than the original setup the reel came with, but when you factor in 30years on the originals, whooo man they are smooth now.

What have you spooled yours with? I'm thinking about 50lb spectra on the 650's just so I dont have to swap out the mono all the time. Going to use these for snapper, king mackeral, dolphin and cobia mostly, likely smaller stuff and occasional grouper.