Newell S550 4.6 HELP PLS!

Started by BadJuJu, March 29, 2011, 08:22:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BadJuJu

My newell reel is hard to crank when star drag is backed off but very easy to crank when star drag is almost on lockdown.  It freespools fine and drag is very smooth when pulled.  Any help is very much appreciated guys.  Thanks in advance.

alantani

sounds like the drag stack is too thick or too high.  did you leave an extra drag washer in by chance?
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

BadJuJu

reel has 3 Carbontec drag washers.  Here is the sequence...  Thrust washer-main gear-carbontec drag - metal washer-carbontec drag- eared washer- carbontec drag - metal washer - beleville washer - gear sleeve. .  Is this correct Alan?  Btw, I changed from stock drags to carbontec drags but the metal washers are all stock.  Do I need to change these stock metal washers also?

alantani

you should have four carbontex drag washers.  the order should be gear sleeve -> carbon fiber -> main gear -> carbon fiber -> keyed metal -> carbon fiber -> eared metal -> carnbon fiber -> keyed metal -> belleville -> spacing collar -> spring washer -> star.

what is the thrust washer that you are starting with?
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

BadJuJu

Thrust washer is stock ( felt?) I will try get me some HT drag material I can use. Will see how that goes.  Thanks Alan.....

Bryan Young

If you still have issues, try removing the bevelled washer.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D