Sport Fishing Magazine's Third Reader Knot Challenge Results

Started by Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B, December 05, 2016, 09:40:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkT

The best knot to tie is the knot you tie best!  I use a San Diego for most things.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Aiala

Uni, Palomar, John Collins and Spider Hitch for me.   :)

~A~
I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

MarkT

I don't trust a Palomar for tying a hook onto the end of the line.  I do use it for a drop shot or tying the hook onto a dropper loop.  I use the Improved Albright/JC/RP/Alberto for joining a leader/topshot to the spectra mainline. The Tony Pena or Bob Sands are good at that too.  I use a Surgeons knot with a few extra turns to create a loop rather than the Spider Hitch.  Whichever you tie best is the best!
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

Quote from: MarkT on December 05, 2016, 09:12:52 PM
I use a San Diego for most things.
X2 sometimes palomar for 20-30LB monos...i'm in the process of switching to loop to loop for braid to mono, no more cutting main line everytime i tie my top shot but still my go to is an alberto knie knot if i want to tie solid braid up to 50LB mono.

tight lines!

boon

Moral of the story that I got from this: Don't tie braid straight to terminal tackle, use a high-strength mono-braid knot (FG or PR knot) then mono AG chain or Uni to terminal tackle.

Every single setup I fish these days is rigged this way; if I do bust off it's at the mono-uni-swivel connection 99% of the time unless I'm fishing a leader considerably higher than the mainline.