Are baitcaster difficult to service?

Started by TheReelShop, November 29, 2016, 04:43:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

exp2000

My old ones have a brass block so threads don't wear out.

But I like the features of this new "Type R" model so much that I just ordered one.

I especially like the replaceable press pin feature as I did bend a pin once on a very stubborn spool pin.
~

Shark Hunter

Quote from: foakes on November 30, 2016, 06:01:28 PM
Im going to have to invest on an ultrasonic cleaner later down the line. An suggestions to clean without the US cleaner?

Toothbrushes, jelly jars, solvents, and simple green...

Honestly, if a reel repair person ever uses an ultrasonic cleaner -- they will wonder why they did not use one before.

Exceptions would be a basic service without disassembling the entire reel -- perfectly acceptable and a good technique when done properly.

However, I prefer a complete service/restoration whenever possible -- no comebacks for me that way.

It is surprising how little a decent US cleaner costs these days.

Here is a good one for $113.89 on ebay -- and there are others as well.

SS, 6 Liters, timer and heat --

Be careful with the solutions, particularly anodized or plastic parts -- experiment first.

Lets face it -- this is the cost of one small, average reel.

Best,

Fred
I bit the Bullet Fred and am ready to enjoy the simple pleasure of cleaning a reel the way you do.
I am sick and tired of freezing my butt off using spray cleaners and a tooth brush this time of year.
I have a nasty 114H that needs some Ultrasonic love.
The drive train is coated with nasty, crusty grease.
Going to try some simple green first and see how it pans out.
My Wife Definitely liked it, because she knows her Jewelry will be in there soon. ;)
Life is Good!

Alto Mare

Very nice Daron, that should make it a little easier on you.
Looks like a nice unit.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

foakes

Very nice, Daron --

The difference between an amateur and a professional is not what they know -- it is the sharp looking tools on their work area!

;D ;D  ;D

Let me know if you have any issues -- or would like some ideas or advice.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

handi2

Daron I believe you will see that you will still need to remove the grease from heavily greased parts.  You can use mineral spirits or other degreaser in the US cleaner also but she wont like that either.

OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL