unknown pinion

Started by RowdyW, December 22, 2016, 03:33:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RowdyW

I got a NOS main & pinion for a Jig. 500 last month & tonight I tried to install my new Tib. spool & it's a no go. I tried a newell & 2 penn spools with the same result. Has anybody run into this situation before? Anybody know what this pinion might be from?       Rudy

Bryan Young

Quote from: RowdyW on December 22, 2016, 03:33:49 AM
I got a NOS main & pinion for a Jig. 500 last month & tonight I tried to install my new Tib. spool & it's a no go. I tried a newell & 2 penn spools with the same result. Has anybody run into this situation before? Anybody know what this pinion might be from?       Rudy
Can you post a picture of the pinion?
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

RowdyW

Quote from: Bryan Young on December 22, 2016, 03:38:11 AM
Quote from: RowdyW on December 22, 2016, 03:33:49 AM
Can you post a picture of the pinion?
No camera & wouldn't know how to post it anyway. Sorry Bry. It looks identical to a 500 pinion but the bore is to small for the 500 shaft.

reel man

I've got a couple of those pinions from Newell that were used with other reels.  Think it's 12 teeth.  The pinion you have can be punched out to fit the shaft of the spool.  Just make sure it rolls on the main gear smoothly.

RowdyW

Quote from: reel man on December 22, 2016, 04:44:12 AM
I've got a couple of those pinions from Newell that were used with other reels.  Think it's 12 teeth.  The pinion you have can be punched out to fit the shaft of the spool.  Just make sure it rolls on the main gear smoothly.
The pinion gear that I have has 12 teeth. How many teeth are on a 500 pinion?

oc1

I don't know anything about jigmaster gears, but I'd drill it out working up through the drill index until it's right and them polishing the bore with emery paper.  If the material and outside diameter is the same as normal pinions then maybe it is safe to assume it will be strong enough with the larger bore.
-steve

mhc

The pinion gear that I have has 12 teeth. How many teeth are on a 500 pinion?
[/quote]
12 teeth on a 13-500 pinion.
Mike
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

RowdyW

Steve, drilling wouldn't be a good option because it would leave too rough of a finish. A better way would be to use a reamer & lap it to finish size. It's cheaper to just get the correct gear that fits right. It would be a different story if the gear was unavailable.      Rudy

mizmo67

The 13-140 gear is externally really close in size to the 500, has 12 teeth and has the slightly smaller bore?
~Mo

Maureen Albertson :)
Scott's Bait & Tackle / Mystic Reel Parts (Formerly PennParts.com)
Contact Me Via Store Website Please!
Orders/Support# +1 (609) 488-4637 (parts ordering or troubleshooting)
customerservice@mysticparts.com

RowdyW

Thanks Mo.       Rudy