Main Menu

first post

Started by alantani, December 04, 2008, 06:37:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alasgun, Rcscherz210, Paul Roberts, RSIA-01, Benni3, UKChris1 and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

Bill B

Welcome aboard Dan.....glad to have you here...where do you call home and what fish are yo targeting?

Bill, from the Sacramento Delta
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Gfish

Tyron, Pete, Dan and Longislander, WHAT'S UP? Looking forward to your posts! Pete I like your user name ("stinkytofu") an aptly named resturaunt product that's made me want to turn around and head back out the door of our favorite eating establishment several times. Have you ever eaten it?
Gfish
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Tiddlerbasher

Alto Mare

Welcome Pete, Longislander and Dan...enjoy your stay here.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

VibraxTrout

Hi There,

I am new to this board, been lurking through some posting about penn 113H Narrow spool modifications (T4NK)
I just scored half modified tank (w/ 1:4 stainless gear)(sans stainless bridge ,double dog and drags) from Ebay for a good price
looking forward to learn from all of you guys, and hopefully will do some local fishing together ( I live in the bay area. San Francisco)

daniel-
VibraxTrout-

foakes

Welcome aboard, Daniel!

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Tiddlerbasher

Alto Mare

Welcome Daniel! you have docked at the right place...enjoy it!

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

RiverAngler

Welcome Daniel! In this small globe I would consider us neighbors:I'm in Rio Vista. I'm sure you will learn a lot here. I know I have!
Parents don't frame pictures of their kids playing video games. Take them fishing!

22GB

Greetings everyone,

Here's my first posting, mostly to thank Alan for sharing his knowledge about reel repair and maintenance.

I also have some questions about buying a couple of 2 speed reels and I'm not sure how or where to ask these questions on the website (or do we call it more of a "forum"?), so here they are: 

I'm thinking of buying a couple of 2 speed reels to use mostly in Northern California for albacore/tuna, pacific halibut and thresher shark. I have not caught many albacore, only one halibut and no thresher yet, but I think it might be nice to have a two speed because of the depth one needs to fish for halibut and the possibility of catching something big, thus needing the low gear and lots of line capacity. Being a fairly novice fisherman, my current biggest reels are two Shimano TLD 15's and an old Penn 4/0 Senator. All 3 reels have upgraded carbon fiber drag washers. My other criteria for reel selection is durability, ease of overhaul/maintenance (I'd like to be able to do this myself, but after doing the TLD 15—story at bottom of this posting, I'm not sure) and price. I don't want to spend top dollar, as I'd rather have two lower priced rod/reel set ups rather than 1 expensive rig--since I think I need two more rods/reels for tuna fishing.

Here's my questions:
1. Do I really need a 2 speed reel? If not, then what single speed reels should I consider or are my current reels sufficient?

2. If a 2 speed reel is appropriate, what models should I consider based on my criteria above?

3. Are there used 2 speed reels that can be purchased on Ebay or somewhere else that would serve my needs and save me a significant amount of $$, even though I'd probably have to rebuild them like I did my TLD 15 (new bearings/drag washer)?

4. What should I load the reels with (#, synthetic, mono, both)?

5. What rod should I get for these reels? I like the durability and price of the Ugly Stiks, but my budget would allow spending more for rods or should I spent more money on the reels and less on the rods?

Thanks in advance,

--Kevin

Now for my story about repairing my Shimano TLD 15 and a big thanks to Alan for his detailed tutorials:

My TLD 15, which is my first and only nice modern reel I've ever owned, was finally starting to act up. The drag was no longer smooth. I found Alan's posting on how to repair TLD's, so I ordered a new bearing, carbon drag washer and Cal's special grease and of course I thought I needed the special pin pressing tool, so bought that too. Of course this was during the beginning of salmon season and I couldn't find the time to do the repair so I bought a used TLD 15 on Ebay that had been "Alan-ized" by a guy in Alaska and I put the old reel and parts in a bag for "later."

Two years goes by and "later" finally came a couple days ago after I had a pretty productive day around the house. I had done some deferred maintenance, got caught up in the garden and after a late dinner and getting all the dishes done I thought I should do something fun--like repair my TLD 15 in hopes of halibut and tuna fishing this summer. Plus the family was out of town so I could use the kitchen table! (Note to young married guys: Do not use the kitchen table for your hobby projects unless no one else is home and you think you can complete the job and remove all evidence before your loved ones return.)

10:30 pm, found the bag with the reel and parts, assembled some likely tools, found Alan's posting, printed out the schematic and started what I thought might be a 1.5 hour fun project.

11:15 pm, rusty looking spool bearings located, back to the garage for more tools, let the hammering begin.

11:45 pm, I realize I should have re-read Alan's tutorial before starting, then I would have known to have carb cleaner on hand and that I would possibly need to replace all 3 bearings. Back to the garage for more supplies. Luckily, I did have a spray can of Corrosion X and way more tools than I know how to use.

12:30 AM, re-read a different one of Alan's tutorials, this one about bearings. Back to the garage for more tools, fish hooks and my jewelers magnifying visor. Those bearing retaining rings are so small and very difficult to remove! One was frozen with corrosion, the other kept rotating around and I couldn't grab it with the fish hook until I bent the point of a hook and held it with pliers on one end of the retaining ring gap and then used another fish hook with my other hand and made many attempts at "setting the hook" on the retaining ring, while muttering some choice expletives each time I dropped the bearing.

Oh joy, got retaining rings free, even figured out how to pry the shields off! Wait, it looks like I need to remove retaining rings and shields from BOTH sides of the bearings...more eye straining, and muttering ensued.

01:15 AM, since I don't have any replacement spool bearings and I don't want to put all of this away on the shelf for another 1-2 years, I decide to try and salvage the frozen spool bearings. I liberally sprayed them with the Corrosion X and manipulated them with a dental pick until I was able to wash out the corrosion and get them to run very smoothly—at least that's what I tell myself since to get the correct bearings it would be days by mail or at least a 2 hour drive to get to a shop that might have the correct bearings.

02:00 AM, the reel is reassembled and after surveying the kitchen table I do not find any "extra" parts lying around. I pull some line and the drag feels smooth. I try the drag lever and discover that free-spool is engaging when the lever is away from me, not toward me. A quick disassembly and reassembly of the preprogram dial, lever shaft body and drag control lever fix the problem, not sure why, but I'm a bit groggy by this time.

02:30 AM, a wave of satisfaction washes over me as now all the tools are put away, the kitchen table no longer looks like a work bench and the reel appears to be working very well, even though I reused the two spool bearings. I'll have to try casting with it in the backyard in the daytime.

I couldn't have done this without Alan having generously shared his knowledge online. Thanks Alan! There will always be a place on our boat for you on our fishing and diving trips and a home cooked dinner too!

Kevin

alantani

thanks for my chuckle for the day!  yeah, this can be very challenging when you first start. we have a beginner's board where you can post random questions.  it's sort of a free for all board, but it seems to be working ok.  otherwise, check out the random boards that we have here and pick what ever seems to fit best. 

as far as the albacore reels go, the basic 4/0 penn senator 113h is probably your best value.  with a drag service and handle upgrade, it makes an excellent albacore trolling reel for norcal.  i personally use a set of shimano TLD 20 two speeds with a handle upgrade.  when dad fished with me, he insisted on a two speed reel, so i busted my fishing piggy bank and sprung for a set.  i still use them, or at least would if we had any fish!  mine are loaded with 80# solid spectra and a 25 yard topshot of 60# mono.  it works out well because i run the jet head clones all 25 yards back. 

for the tld 15, i have a nice handle upgrade.  in time.....  welcome!  alan

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

foakes

Welcome aboard, Kevin --

Great post!

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Tiddlerbasher