Main Menu

first post

Started by alantani, December 04, 2008, 06:37:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Batomba, ST.NicksCobia, MexicanGulf, Steve V., Benni3, rogan, seruga, Jenx (+ 1 Hidden) and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.

jimcat

I live in san diego and go out on overnight trips and 2-3 days tuna boats, I met a man who no longer could fish he was dying of cancer and he had a collection of shimano reels which I bought and he also built custom calstar rods. He lived in palm springs and his name was Bob Horton, great man who knew a lot about fishing. I have a tld 5, 10, 15, 20, 25, 4/0 50w 50/80. the 50/80 and the 4/0 may need some attention, not that they look like they do, I just know theyre older reel. but look new. I also have his rods too, nothing is for sale of course but my question is do you restore reels still?

foakes

Welcome, Jim --

Sounds like you acquired a really good arsenal of quality gear.

Those TLDs are exceptional reels -- I particularly like the little 5s and 10s.

They are no longer made -- a mistake on Shimano's part, as far as I am concerned.

All the Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

alantani

Gentlemen, welcome.  Jim, there are many options for you.  For starters,  the work is not hard.  Did you want to take a crack at it yourself?
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Bill B

Jim welcome to the site...and by all means rebuild them and fish them....nothing like catching fish on your own gear...any questions and someone will have the answer.....Bill Sacramento delta
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Shark Hunter

Welcome Aaron and jimcat. ;D
C'mon in and sit a spell.
Get started on those Jim. You can do it.
Life is Good!

Gfish

Jimcat, if ya search around on this forum, you'll see that there's alota sub- forums on orderin parts, step by step service/rebuild tutorials, and methods&materials, etc. there's quite a bit a posts on the TLD's and the 4/0, that I've used. There's also info. leadin to guys that'll do it for ya and plenty of people ready to chime in with quick answers if ya go it alone. It's a whole new dimension to fishin and it's FUN!
Gfish
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

jimcat

Thanks for the replies fellas, I'm not one that should be cracking open a reel I'm just no good at things like that. I need someone who knows how to do it and know what they're looking for and at. and can replace any worn out parts. Any advise on who I can go to for the job? thanks Alan.

Tightlines667

Lots of options for you in Southern CA.  You could likely send them up to the boss himself in San Jose area as well. 

I wouldn't be afraid to take a stab at your star drags though.  The TLDs are not bad either, though parts cost can escalate.  Those smaller TLDs are definately sought after reels.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Bryan Young

Hi JomCat,

If you want to stay local, I would recommend Ken's Custom Reels in Oceanside. Not too far from you and they provide excellent service. I know that Angler's Choice and Squidoco provides reel service but I cannot attest to them. Must be good because no complaints either.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

jimcat

thanks, i'm still tryin to find a good reel repair in southern California. I have 3 reels I want serviced. 50/80, 50w, 4/0. going out on a 8 day next season and I wanna make sure all is well, PLEASE someone give me a name and their address.

alantani

you'll have to go here for the shimano 50/80.  http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=55.0

Bo101012

First off thank you to everyone on here for posting the countless threads of info! I've used many of your opinions and experience for picking out my first "serious" reel, which is a Daiwa 900h. First thing on my to do list is to slap the drag upgrade on it!

Little about me...
I live in the northeast near Pittsburgh PA. I've fished the Atlantic coast each year from the surf while vacationing. I've used my trusty Daiwa df100A (on my 2nd one now, loaded to the gills with 50lb braid) for about 7yrs now, it has served me well for swimming out to sand bars and casting out whiting... But I plan on stepping my game up this year and yakking a bait out, hence the need for the 900h.

Attached are a couple photos from over the years.. Funniest part about the photos is that the first one was my largest to date, and was the first large shark I ever caught.. I caught him on a Walmart steel pompano style rig! Kind of embarrassing to say but oh well, it worked!  ::)

I remember it like yesterday.. It started raining, the beach cleared out and I just caught a nice sized whiting. I had a large gamakatsu circle hook and threw it on to the end of the rig, baited up the whiting and started to swim 100+ yds out to the sand bar. Once getting there, I chucked the bait as far as a could, let my shoulders go beneath the water and enjoyed the view in front of me. Not five minutes went by and the next thing I knew my drag was screaming! First thing I did was apply some more drag and do my best one arm paddle to get my #### back to shore!! About 30-45 mins later I had my first shark. Luckily a couple saw me fighting the fish from their condo and came down to take some photos, or it would have been just another fish story for my family back at the condo!

Out of curiosity, has anyone done a thread or know someone with the new 2016 version of the Fin-Nor OFS spinning series?! I've tried my best Google attempts but have been unsuccessful digging up any info other than a brief once over done at Icast. I'm already getting an itch to buy another reel  ;D

alantani

welcome!  lots of the guys work on spinners, but not me.   ;D

Tiddlerbasher

Shark Hunter

Welcome Bo!
Tom from Cortez conversions has a stainless sleeve for the 900h. That with the drag kit will make an impressive reel.
Life is Good!