Main Menu

first post

Started by alantani, December 04, 2008, 06:37:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ST.NicksCobia, Jenx, 1badf350, Donnyboat, PatrickZ and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

Rogero

Hi there! I'm Roger. I'm an angler in my mid-30s. Lifelong fisherman, originally from Thailand and currently living in Seattle. First legit fish ever caught was on a Penn 210 and some fiberglass rod with a wodden handle.

For some reason, right now in this day and age, I've been really intrigued by the action of "Hot Rodding" old Penn reels, especially the 4/0 113H Senator.

Some of you may ask: Why would you want to fish that old crusty reel when theres so many new shiny reels on the market with all the latest-and-greatest?

I respond with this: When I was in my 20s, I was into motorcycles (and out of fishing for a bit), I had an old Harley Dyna from the 90s that I dumped a ton of money into upgrading the parts. I also had a newer Honda VFR that blew away the Harley in every aspect. But I loved riding that Dyna, I could feel and evaluate each and every modification done to it and appreciate how much better it made the bike. It had soul. The Honda was way better off the bat, but thats what it lacked.

But anyways that was another life ago. Now I do own a few Penn Fathoms, but the passion project really points to the Senators. So yep, here to get educated and hope to share my progress!

foakes

Welcome aboard, Roger!

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

OhReely

Welcome. You're gonna like it here.

Brewcrafter

Welcome Roger!  For the most part, modding reels probably considerably less expensive than vintage Harley parts! = john

gstours

Welcome Roger,  your 113h wish has come true.  ask and you will receive,   good advice.  :fish

Benni3

Welcome from Salem va,,,,,,, :)

Rogero

Quote from: Brewcrafter on February 05, 2024, 11:49:41 PMWelcome Roger!  For the most part, modding reels probably considerably less expensive than vintage Harley parts! = john

EXACTLY!!!!!! Well I am getting into my first mod soon!
Old motorcycles, old cars, and old fishing reels will always hold their place.

Crow

There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Dominick

Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Bryan Young

Welcome Roger. Let us k ow if we can help.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

thorhammer

Quote from: Rogero on February 05, 2024, 08:44:10 PMHi there! I'm Roger. I'm an angler in my mid-30s. Lifelong fisherman, originally from Thailand and currently living in Seattle. First legit fish ever caught was on a Penn 210 and some fiberglass rod with a wodden handle.

For some reason, right now in this day and age, I've been really intrigued by the action of "Hot Rodding" old Penn reels, especially the 4/0 113H Senator.

Some of you may ask: Why would you want to fish that old crusty reel when theres so many new shiny reels on the market with all the latest-and-greatest?

Welcome. Those who might ask might get run out of town on a rail. Sensibility has nothing to do with this.

John

I respond with this: When I was in my 20s, I was into motorcycles (and out of fishing for a bit), I had an old Harley Dyna from the 90s that I dumped a ton of money into upgrading the parts. I also had a newer Honda VFR that blew away the Harley in every aspect. But I loved riding that Dyna, I could feel and evaluate each and every modification done to it and appreciate how much better it made the bike. It had soul. The Honda was way better off the bat, but thats what it lacked.

But anyways that was another life ago. Now I do own a few Penn Fathoms, but the passion project really points to the Senators. So yep, here to get educated and hope to share my progress!

ScottW

Hello all! My name is Scott and I'm grateful for this site. Fishing has been part of my life since I was very young down here in South Florida. Recently, after retiring I renewed my love of the sport and all that accompanies it - the tackle and equipment.

After 7 yrs of amateur watchmaking I naturally fell in love with restoring reels but have much to learn. I serviced all of my Penn gold SS series, a handful of Mitchells and now I'm impressed by the D.A.M. Quick line, what amazing engineering and tooling!

Anyway, thanks for all the information in this forum, I'm honored to be a member.

Scott

Benni3

Welcome from Salem va,,,,, ;D