Main Menu

first post

Started by alantani, December 04, 2008, 06:37:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sandflea5, mackereljoe, MexicanGulf, PhillyJoe and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.

oldmanjoe

:)  Welcome  Scott    Watchmaking skills , Fishing reels will be a piece of cake and the parts are bigger !!
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Brewcrafter

Welcome Scott from the SoCal Inland Empire!  Watchmaking?  It's "time" to go fishing!  :D  - john

ScottW

Thanks guys! Yes, with the watches vs the reels it's nice to not have to look at everything magnified! ;D

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

Rogero

Quote from: thorhammer on February 11, 2024, 08:19:55 PM
Quote from: Rogero on February 05, 2024, 08:44:10 PMHi there! I'm Roger. I'm an angler in my mid-30s. Lifelong fisherman, originally from Thailand and currently living in Seattle. First legit fish ever caught was on a Penn 210 and some fiberglass rod with a wodden handle.

For some reason, right now in this day and age, I've been really intrigued by the action of "Hot Rodding" old Penn reels, especially the 4/0 113H Senator.

Some of you may ask: Why would you want to fish that old crusty reel when theres so many new shiny reels on the market with all the latest-and-greatest?

Welcome. Those who might ask might get run out of town on a rail. Sensibility has nothing to do with this.

John

I respond with this: When I was in my 20s, I was into motorcycles (and out of fishing for a bit), I had an old Harley Dyna from the 90s that I dumped a ton of money into upgrading the parts. I also had a newer Honda VFR that blew away the Harley in every aspect. But I loved riding that Dyna, I could feel and evaluate each and every modification done to it and appreciate how much better it made the bike. It had soul. The Honda was way better off the bat, but thats what it lacked.

But anyways that was another life ago. Now I do own a few Penn Fathoms, but the passion project really points to the Senators. So yep, here to get educated and hope to share my progress!

You are right about that! These reels are made to be fished hard and withstand the test of time. Its 2024 and Senators and Jigmasters from before I was born are still out on the water catching fish. Also I may be heavily biased towards conventional reels since I taught myself to cast them proper and far with very minimal birdsnesting.

But yep Thats pretty much why I joined this forum.

Maxed Out

Quote from: thorhammer on February 11, 2024, 08:19:55 PM
Quote from: Rogero on February 05, 2024, 08:44:10 PMHi there! I'm Roger. I'm an angler in my mid-30s. Lifelong fisherman, originally from Thailand and currently living in Seattle. First legit fish ever caught was on a Penn 210 and some fiberglass rod with a wodden handle.

For some reason, right now in this day and age, I've been really intrigued by the action of "Hot Rodding" old Penn reels, especially the 4/0 113H Senator.

Some of you may ask: Why would you want to fish that old crusty reel when theres so many new shiny reels on the market with all the latest-and-greatest?

Welcome. Those who might ask might get run out of town on a rail. Sensibility has nothing to do with this.

John

I respond with this: When I was in my 20s, I was into motorcycles (and out of fishing for a bit), I had an old Harley Dyna from the 90s that I dumped a ton of money into upgrading the parts. I also had a newer Honda VFR that blew away the Harley in every aspect. But I loved riding that Dyna, I could feel and evaluate each and every modification done to it and appreciate how much better it made the bike. It had soul. The Honda was way better off the bat, but thats what it lacked.

But anyways that was another life ago. Now I do own a few Penn Fathoms, but the passion project really points to the Senators. So yep, here to get educated and hope to share my progress!

Welcome, and nothing wrong with hot rodding a 113H

Edit: My apologies Roger, I'm a bad influence in this neck of the woods. I do regularly fish just north of Seattle in Puget Sound. Also note, Puget sound fishermen are good liars !!

We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Fishnit

Hi everyone,
I ran into this site about a week ago. Looks very informative.
Glad to be here!

foakes

Welcome aboard!

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Bill B

Good to have you here. Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Crow

There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Midway Tommy

Quote from: ScottW on February 12, 2024, 02:10:31 PMHello all! My name is Scott and I'm grateful for this site. Fishing has been part of my life since I was very young down here in South Florida. Recently, after retiring I renewed my love of the sport and all that accompanies it - the tackle and equipment.

After 7 yrs of amateur watchmaking I naturally fell in love with restoring reels but have much to learn. I serviced all of my Penn gold SS series, a handful of Mitchells and now I'm impressed by the D.A.M. Quick line, what amazing engineering and tooling!

Anyway, thanks for all the information in this forum, I'm honored to be a member.

Scott

Welcome, Scott! Watch making came hand-in-hand with an awful lot of the early spinning reels. A huge number of European manufactures started out as watch makers, as did a many of the early US conventional reel makers.

If you are impressed with some of the Penn and Dam spinning reel engineering you'll be just as impressed, if not more so, with the ABU Cardinal made in Sweeden fulcrum drag lines .
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Brewcrafter

Welcome Fishnit from the SoCal Inland Empire! - john