Main Menu

first post

Started by alantani, December 04, 2008, 06:37:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Roberts, RSIA-01, Benni3, UKChris1, seruga, mackereljoe, WalterWyman and 7 Guests are viewing this topic.

Alto Mare

Quote from: NYIsles55 on January 23, 2016, 12:46:16 AM
Hi

My name is Josh, and I'm a 16 year old from Long Island, NY. I always loved to fish, but back last March I walked into a Walmart with my grandpa to pick up his meds with him. I don't remember what happened inside, but all I know is I walked out with a fishing rod. Ever since that moment, I've been hooked on fishing, especially surf fishing. I go for anything that will bite in the surf range of Long Island, or in the bays.

Aside from loving fishing, I also love hockey. My two favorite teams are the New York Islanders and the  Calgary Flames.

I'm excited to be on this site, and will try to keep my stupid question to a minimum ;)
Hello Josh, welcome aboard. Ask any questions you have ...there is no limit ;)
Enjoy your stay here.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Alto Mare

Quote from: Indyfisher on January 18, 2016, 04:52:12 AM
Hello, Richard from central Indiana. Decided to join after a year of roaming the site for information to rebuild, maintain and tune reels. Hope to be an asset to your site. Already feel like I know some of you guys. Thanks Alan and a large list of others. :)
Welcome Richard, nice to have you with us.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

foakes

Welcome aboard, James --

Fasten your safety belt -- then get ready for a ride.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Tiddlerbasher

alantani

welcome!  anything you need, let us know!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

Quinnbozz

Hello my name is devin, I'm on Okinawa Japan half way through a three year tour. I'm actually from Toledo, Ohio

The story on how I have come here to make this my first post.  I just recently went on my first deep-sea fishing trip.about a month ago.........now...I'm hooked! Using the gear provided by the charter I landed what my very seasoned fishing coworkers said was a large yellowfin tuna while drift fishing with a penn senator, not sure what size it was, then hooked something that apparently no man should catch. Boy I wish I could know what it was. But that was enough the hook was set this week I purchased my first piece of gear, a penn 9/0 off eBay for $76 bucks. With the intention of making it a entry level trolling setup. Once I won the auction I instantly started looking for ways to improve it and that search led me here.

This long winded post is a complement to Alan, this site, and the wonderful internet community that has formed because if it. I have never been so compelled to join a forum. After crawling around the forum for a few days such a positive generous knowledgeable group. I should just start saying thank you now to all of you.

alantani

devin, i've spoken to a couple of guys from okinawa, a few were active duty, one charter boat guy, and a few other random fishermen.  must be a pretty incredible fishery.  from what you describe, i would actually recommend a makaira 20 at the very minimum, a 30 to hedge your bets, and a 50 to catch that monster that got away.  i know it's a big jump from a 9/0 senator to a $600 two speed reel.  you are looking at over a grand before you are done with the rod, reel and rigging.  if you stick with this, you will eventually wind up here anyway. 

and welcome!!!!  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Quinnbozz

Thanks Alan, I know it's not really a good choice but for the year I'll keep it, and the ten times or so that we'll go fishing I was hopeing a sturdy 9/0 would get me in on the trolling wahoo , tuna and what not. I'll be ok and have come to accept the possibility of having (the one that got away) happen. I'll sell the 9/0 when we leave cause I don't see ever needing it again .
I did plan on getting a  fth60lw for drift fishing here as that would stay with me when we go home and be my troller in the Great Lakes. Maybe I should just use the 9/0 for drift, ........no, I want a level wind for drift......ah! I don't know.lol

Well once I get it we will see what kind of shape its in (fingers crossed

Thanks again,
Devin

Quinnbozz

By the way dose anybody have any thoughts on the fth60lw

Shark Hunter

Welcome Devin,
You would be surprised what that 9/0 is capable of.
This is a pic of my Buddy Eric using a bone stock 9/0, except for the frame. These are available here.
Life is Good!

Quinnbozz

Thanks shark.hunter.   That picture just makes me grin and giggle like my 5 yr old son!, that was a shot of confidence I needed, I feel this will work ok, I plan on 1000 yards 100lb braid and finsh it off with a top shot of 130lb or so mono. Or should I use a lower lb Tess mono than the braid so that when /if I hook a moby I don't loose all my line too.

ok should I start a new thread for my questions . Or can I just keep going here.
So what are the standard mods this reel benefits from, obviously carbon drag kit if it dose not have one. I would like to get it to the 30 pounds area , and understand that trying for 40 is pushing it....right?
Keep in mind I'll only have it for a year and don't want to triple the price of my investment when I'm not going to get any of it back

Thanks,
Devin

P.s. Are any of the message icons a spell check, I'm horrible, I can even misspell spell

Alto Mare

Quote from: Shark Hunter on January 30, 2016, 09:22:13 AM
Welcome Devin,
You would be surprised what that 9/0 is capable of.
This is a pic of my Buddy Eric using a bone stock 9/0
Yeah, he was everyone's body...are you still in touch with him? I haven't heard from Erik for a long time :-\

Shark Hunter

No I haven't Sal,
He fell of the edge of the earth last Feb.
I actually got to meet him Right around Christmas last year. He has family here.
The last I heard of him, he took on a big job on the other side of the island. (Fiji)
Devin,
I would put a new drag stack in that 9/0 and fish it.
Stock drag setting with a new five stack will get you 25 lbs.
That is with a 5 stack. You can upgrade to a 7 stack kit from Bryan and bump that up to a little more than 30, but without putting a frame on it and some more goodies, it will double the price you paid easily.
Here is the drag kit you need.
https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/Parts/6-114HSP.aspx
And an new undergear washer.
https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/Parts/4-115.aspx
This is the bare minimum investment to make it into a capable fishing Machine.
Probably 20 bucks.

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"
Life is Good!

Alto Mare

Funny how he just vanished :-\...