Main Menu

first post

Started by alantani, December 04, 2008, 06:37:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alasgun, PhillyJoe, Rcscherz210, Paul Roberts, UKChris1 and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

coralsea

no pain-no gain

foakes

Hi Alan & Everyone who contributes to this Board --

Just wanted to let everyone know how much I appreciate and value the information found here.

I have serviced and repaired quality reels for over 30 years --

I live up in the central part of California -- in the Sierra Nevada mountains at about 4400'.

Of course, I service and repair nearly any type of quality reel -- but the ones I specialize in are:  DAM Quick, Mitchell, Garcia, Abu, Penn, Daiwa, Shimano, Newell, and many of the older reels from the "Golden Years" -- 50s, 60s, 70s, 80s.

Probably like a lot of us on this board, I do work for individuals, tackle shops, sporting goods stores, charter operators, salt and fresh fisherman, collectors, etc.. -- both here in the US & Internationally.

I have an extensive stock of DAM Quick, Mitchell, and Penn parts.

Every day I learn something new from this Board -- and just wanted to thank Alan for this undertaking.

Thanks also to the moderators also seem very knowledgeable and professional -- great site!

If the maintenance and expense (time required & $$$) of this board becomes too burdensome as a free service -- you might have to consider at some point charging a small fee to start an organization to help maintain this site.  There are few things in life that are free -- and some of the most valuable things do have a modest charge associated with them. 

Not trying to throw a monkey wrench in this board, Alan -- just trying to be practical.  You are only one person -- and you must also do the things that will bring in $$$.

Hopefully, I might be able to add something from time to time on this board -- but it seems with the knowledge of members, I will learn more than I give.

Best Regards,

Fred Oakes
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

DaBigOno

Aloha!  Welcome in Fred.
Ua Mau ke Ea o ka Aina i ka Pono

Shark Hunter

Welcome Fred!
You will be able to pay it forward. trust me. ;)
Life is Good!

MFB

No man can lose what he never had.
                                                   Isaac Walton

BMITCH

Welcome Fred, glad to have you here.
Bob
luck is the residue of design.

Tawakoni Terror

Hello from Lake Tawakoni, Texas. The official "Catfish Capital of Texas".

I found this site after I took apart my Ambassadeur Ultra Mag Plus XL. Happy to say it's back together and running great.....very satisfying.

Like most fishermen, since my childhood, I have been tinkering with repairing my families rods and reels.
Retired now and looking for something to do. I'm considering taking some classes on reel repair. Before hand, I'm trying to do my due diligence and understand the investment in dollars, the competition and education needed so that I can return a quality repair to any potential customers.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

I look forward to learning from y'all.

Thank you in advance.

DaBigOno

Aloha! Terror,  Welcome in.
Ua Mau ke Ea o ka Aina i ka Pono

BMITCH

Shark Hunter

You are in the right place TT! ;D
Welcome
Life is Good!

alantani

gentlemen, welcome! 

fred, i grew up on fresno, had the family farm in clovis, dad sold and bought a farm in sanger, fished shaver lake as a kid, tunnel creek and (i think) stevenson creek were my favorite areas of shaver.  i remember a couple of islands that we could walk to when the water was low when we would drive out to tunnel creek.  lots of fun as a kid.  great memories. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

foakes

Hi Alan --

I and my wife have lived in Fresno all of our lives -- until we moved up by Shaver Lake 3 years ago.

You are right! -- Good Memory!  Tunnel Creek & Stevenson are the two main natural feeder creeks to Shaver Lake.  Probably the best place to get some large Rainbows is where the inlets are.  They have a Trophy trout program going at Shaver for the last couple of years -- 15.6 Lb Rainbow caught a week ago -- common fish are 4 to 5 pounds -- with a lot in the 14" -  16" range.

Did your Dad have vines or trees?

Where is your shop, Alan?

I should stop by some time when I am in the Bay Area.

Your site is so impressive and professional...

Best Regards,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

alantani

i'm in saratoga and just work out of the garage.  we started out with peaches and thompson seedless grapes in clovis, at barstow and leonard.  i've been able to come to terms with peaches, but to this day i still hate grapes.  there was a launch ramp that the built that was just past the dam.  we'd troll a little there sometimes, but usually we'd head out to camp edison or out to tunnel creek. we used to use davey davis flashers or those cowbells, but i introduced my dad and brother to "salmon-style" trout fishing with a single small six inch flasher and a single hook to a gob of worms.  worked great the last time we tried it.  that was maybe 10 years ago,  that was the last time i've been up to shaver.  it holds alot of great memories for me.  

back up around tunnel creek was also the the place where i took my first squirrel.  hey, single shot remington bolt action .22 and .22 cal shorts with open sights.  probably can't shoot back there anymore, huh!  good times!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Hyperion

Hi,

I'm from the island of Trinidad in the Southern Caribbean, just east of Venezuela. I would like to express my gratitude for the wealth of knowledge available here, especially for a DIYer like myself. I'm by no means a professional fisherman or 'fixer', just a weekend warrior. But thanks to Alan I was able to strip down and service my faithful Penn 704z. My next task is to break down and clean up my Penn 113HLH.

BMITCH