500/501 jigmaster

Started by alantani, December 07, 2008, 04:39:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

El Pescador and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Keta

On my 113Hs I have one bellvile on top of the last keyed washer and 1 under the star thanks to Bryan's suggestion.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

eaguon

Okay guys, today I picked up a "99" Gold Tiburon frame, right hand, right side plate that reads 501, and left side plate reads 500. Although, I haven't disassembled it yet, it appears to work fine, good free spool, smooth, but how much "play" is there supposed be when you crank the handle before it locks into place. For some reason, I think there is too much play (meaning the handle moves back and forth before engaging and can't go backwards) if, that makes any sense. Never, really owned anything like this without an anti-reverse that doesn't allow the handle to move backwards, at all.

Ron Jones

Your reel has a single anti-reverse dog, it should reel backwards as much as 60 degrees before stopping. It should not move forward much at all before it starts to spin the spool.

Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

BMITCH

Welcome to the world of dogs and not AR bearings.
luck is the residue of design.

eaguon

" it should reel backwards as much as 60 degrees before stopping" That is something I am definitely NOT used to.

eaguon

Welcome to the world of dogs and not AR bearings. Thanks for the greeting  :D I guess I'll strip her braid off and sell her.

Ron Jones

I greatly prefer dogs to AR bearings. AR bearings WILL fail at some point, a maintained reel with a dog always has a chunk of metal behind the ratchet.

Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

BMITCH

Wagon, that mod is great. You can either go with simultaneous dogs(still about 60* of back play in the handle) or alternating dogs(about 30* play) your choice.
Bob
luck is the residue of design.

bic316

Hi Alan,  recently followed your tutorial regarding penn 500.  Having trouble replacing star drag. It won't thread on far enough to touch sleeve.
How do I solve this issue?  Thanks.

Bryan Young

It may be that your drag stack is too high, belleville or wave spring washer is too thick, spaceer is too tall, or the eared washer is not sitting properly in the main gear.  If you reel worked fine before, I'd say that it's your eared washer may have slipped out of the main gear.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

bic316

star drag wants to cross thread. Any suggestions regarding.....

Ron Jones

You might be able to save it by running a tap through the star and/or a die over the gear sleeve. Honestly though, a stainless gear sleeve and oversized star are never bad ideas.

Ron
Ronald Jones
"

Bryan Young

The star should be installed with the part number down.  You sometimes have to rotate the star backwards a few times to make sure you mate both the star and the gear sleeve and the start of the thread, and go slow, holding it flat.  Once it's on, it should rotate smoothly.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

garking84

Can some one help... Ok I just purchased a jigmaster 500 from eBay it looks exactly like that red/maroonish jigmaster on page 1 "Peters".my plans where to replace the washers,put ss gear sleeve, ss gears. To my surprise when I opened the reel it already had new washers, fiber washer under main gear and ss every single part except the yoke. Which I replaced already Do these reels come like this or did some one upgrade everything? I contacted seller but he said he has no clue that he just sells them. also im breaking my head thinking  ??? Should I buy Ss gears or not, because my gear looks exactly like "Peters". Can anyone tell me if that gear in the pic is a ss gear..... Thanks