Possibly My Most Often Used Tool

Started by foakes, February 03, 2017, 01:05:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

foakes

Little pocket scratch awl with a hardened replaceable point that has a tapered end and barrel so you can see what you are needing to see.

This is a Craftsman No. 9-4051 -- but I am sure it is made by Starrett.

Super high quality in opearation, fit, checkering, feel, and finish.

Mine is over 25 years old.

It is used dozens of times a day to install or remove springs, pry up things, remove bearing shields, and a whole lot more.  

I have various picks, dental picks, machinists picks, and more -- but this little guy is worth his weight in gold.

Best,

Fred

http://ads.midwayusa.com/product/436848/starrett-pocket-scribe-steel?cm_mmc=pf_ci_google-_-Gunsmithing+-+Tools%2C+Jigs+%26+Fixtures-_-Starrett-_-436848&gclid=CMSV1f7L8tECFROXfgod05IOhQ
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Reel 224

Did you post that for me Fred? ;D You know what a tool hound I am.

Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

exp2000

reelrepair123

yes  fred  i use my pointy awl constantly, also when putting on a sideplate with chrome rings, i stick it thru one of the holes to align the plate, and ring to the frame posts on the other half of the reel,  but also i have my slotted screw holder ready with a screw attached to it to slide thru another hole and screw the plate to the post, thus all aligned and ready to install the remaining screws.  its hard to say which tool is the most used, all day i constantly use my pointy awl, slotted screw holder ( sometimes i have two loaded and ready to use ) , small needle nose pliers, and my screw gun, plus a couple of other screwdrivers in different sizes, but as i'm writing this, how can i leave out my dremel, for wire wheeling and cleaning parts, cut off wheel when needed, i  really have a mini assembly line at my disposal when working on reels, especially when i'm sitting on my scooter because i can't walk around.    harryk

Midway Tommy

I know, ya'll are gonna roll your eyebrows  :o & laugh  :D like hell but these 2 little guys get used continually on every reel I work on:

That little 10 cent yellow handled Taiwan screwdriver is perfect for loosening many tiny slotted screws, the blade head has a slight hook or curl, because it's such a cheapie, which makes it a great scraper to remove excess & caked grease from inside the reel body and in between gear teeth, or anywhere else for that matter, it fits perfectly for popping off e & c-clips and it got magnetized somewhere along the line so it hangs onto most clips, too, so I don't have to run across the room chasing them down or try to find them in the carpet. Those long thin jawed mini needle nose are a great asset, too, because they don't have teeth to mar anything. They're the perfect length & spread for retrieving soaked parts out of my little lacquer thinner part cleaning jar and the smooth jaws are great for flattening bent washers & other parts. The magnetized screwdriver works well for getting clips or other tiny steel parts out of that jar, too.  

O.K. go ahead and laugh now  ;D , but it's amazing, sometimes, how a cheap and simple ordinary basic tool can be such a valuable asset.      
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

mo65

Well Tommy...if they laugh at your screwdriver...they're gonna howl when they see mine! :D I've used this old thing so long that I have no clue where it even came from. It too is lightly magnetized, just enough to lift those tiny springs. The tip fits 5-40 screws perfect...and is so rounded and smooth it won't even scratch a side plate if I slip. I have nice, expensive screwdrivers sitting in the tool cabinet, collecting dust. Maybe 50 years from now someone will take a liking to one of those. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

foakes

Tommy & Mike's screwdrivers reminded me of this one I have never used --

It came in one of my DAM Quick 265 Microlite Dealer Repair Kits from about 1960, most likely.

Reads 5000V -- marked Germany.

Tommy has a good idea to put a slight bend at the end of some cheapie drivers -- we all have 100 of them laying in drawers.  I think I actually tossed out about 25 last year that were new -- just figured I would never use them -- and would not want to give them to anyone because they might fail...

I was wrong again!

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Alto Mare

Somewhat related. Didn't bring my tools on one of my jobs once, it was pretty far and those days the few stores were only opened 5 days a week...the good old days.
I was building a firplace, I asked the homeowner if she had any tools, she only had a garden trowel.
That day I built the firebox using that trowel and came out just as good ;D.
At times, or I should say most times, it's not the tool, but the man behind the tool.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Dominick

Quote from: Alto Mare on February 03, 2017, 10:03:48 PM

At times, or I should say most times, it's not the tool, but the man behind the tool.

Sal
Most times it is the man that knows the right tool to use.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Reel 224

Quote from: Dominick on February 04, 2017, 11:03:31 PM
Quote from: Alto Mare on February 03, 2017, 10:03:48 PM

Sal
Most times it is the man that knows the right tool to use.  Dominick

Dominick; Are you saying that yours is the easy chair? ;) ;D

Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."