Pflueger Autopla

Started by The Great Maudu, January 03, 2017, 01:54:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Penn Chronology

I would think that if you had the worm line guide gear and spool pinion gear place in a position that would allow the main gear to engage with them both at the same time, then a pivoting bridge could move the main gear away from them both at the same time. The problem is when it is time to engage these gears I see a clash happening. Synchronizing three gears might be more trouble than it is worth. Just a thought ???

Can't think of a reel that does that; but, in the freshwater world, they do all kinds of crazy engineering. I bet there is one out there.

oc1

With the right wrist action the gears could be made to mesh.  Rotate the main into the pinion first because it has deeper teeth and then catch the levelwind.  I believe I could make one using parts from here and there and some rustic metal work.  But, it would be a lot of work and I wouldn't really have anything in the end?  Neither fish nor fowl. Not a vintage reel.  Not an easy reel to use.  Poorer performance than a modern reel. Not as compact or light as a modern reel.  Not valuable.  Worth less than the sum of the parts.  A lot of reel destruction left in the wake.  
-steve

Penn Chronology

QuoteWith the right wrist action the gears could be made to mesh.  Rotate the main into the pinion first because it has deeper teeth and then catch the levelwind.  I believe I could make one using parts from here and there and some rustic metal work.  But, it would be a lot of work and I wouldn't really have anything in the end?  Neither fish nor fowl. Not a vintage reel.  Not an easy reel to use.  Poorer performance than a modern reel. Not as compact or light as a modern reel.  Not valuable.  Worth less than the sum of the parts.  A lot of reel destruction left in the wake.  

I don't know Steve, after your keen analysis of the situation, I believe I would rather spend the day straightening old rusty nails........ :-\

Gfish

What about about a Penn-like clutch. It'd disengage the pinion from the spool in the usual way and disengage the worm unit from its perspective gear with some kinda mini-worm gear yoke. Can't envision what the "mini eccentric jack" connection 'ed look like, though.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

oc1

Gfish, that sounds a lot like a modern low profile baitcasting reel.  Already have one of those.
You're right Mike.  At the end of the day at least there would be some straight rusty nails.
-steve

Tightlines667

Quote from: Tightlines666 on January 15, 2017, 09:56:48 PM
I enlisted some help over on ORCA on this one...

http://reeltalk.orcaonline.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=19615

Maybe someone with more knowledge then myself csn provide a better answer here.

John

Got some feedback over on ORCA.

The answer is basically.. no/not likely.

Steve Vernon sums it up by saying simply that this is...

"Not a great idea"

John
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Gfish

Sure glad he provided the reasons why not. Really helps with my education.
Gfish
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!