Penn Levelmatic 920 free spool problem

Started by mschiedt, January 09, 2017, 10:38:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mschiedt

Hi all,

I worked on my penn 920 Levelmatic. I also took the frame apart.
after assembling the reel I noticed that the free spool is not any more as good as before.

Investigating the problem, I found out that when I only tight the lower thumb screw (below the handle) very little that the good free spool is fully back.

My asumption is that the frame can not be perfectly reassembled without a factory jig, leaving my frame now a bit off set from how it should be.

Q: does any body know a solution or sombody who is able to asamble the reel perfectly again having a
jig.

advice is apriciated.
Max

alantani

max, welcome!  i've assembled many levelmatics and they have always gone back together without a problem.  it is possible that the frame could be torqued and you might be able to see that visually if you look very closely, but even being a little off is usually not a problem.   if leaving one screw loose works, then perhaps use red loctite to hold that loose screw in that position.  it is certainly a less than ideal solution, but it might work. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

foakes

Welcome, mscheidt! --

A frame jig is not needed to align the assembly on these little 920 Penns.

Under a load however, the frame could torque a bit.

There are two versions of this reel with two different stands -- older and newer.

The frame could be just straightened out by twisting it in your hands -- maybe 3 out of 5 times.

However, there are a few other more common problems that could cause a freespool issue -- so before messing with the frame:

Was the reel operating OK before you worked on it?

Check the drag stack to see if all drags and washers are in proper orientation, with no metal ears not nesting properly within the main gear.

Remove the spiral worm gear -- then check your freespool.  Any of the 13 or so parts in the levelwind could cause poor freespool.

Disassemble the reel again, and when tightening the frame screws -- alternate at 180 degrees -- and do not tighten everything until you have good freespool -- then tighten each screw carefully until nested and snug.

Could be bearings or bushings, could be a shim, could be an out of order part.  Could be the frame alignment.
These are high quality reels -- but sometimes a hassle to adjust properly.

Show us some pics when you can.

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

mschiedt

Dear Gentlemen,

thank you for the quick and comprehensive advice;
I will try all this.
Max

ez2cdave

Which style Reel Stand do you have ?

The first pic is the "early" style . . . The second is the later" style.

ez2cdave

Quote from: alantani on January 09, 2017, 11:09:50 PMIf leaving one screw loose works, then perhaps use red loctite to hold that loose screw in that position.

Did you really mean RED Loctite ( the "permanent" kind ) or BLUE Loctite ( "removable" ) ???

Tight Lines !

mschiedt

Quote from: ez2cdave on January 12, 2017, 06:03:34 AM
Which style Reel Stand do you have ?

The first pic is the "early" style . . . The second is the later" style.

i have the later Style ( second pic)
thank you
Max

ez2cdave

Quote from: mschiedt on January 12, 2017, 06:24:36 AM

i have the later Style ( second pic)
thank you
Max

Hi, Max !

Thanks what I thought . . . The later "stamped" reel stand can become "torqued". If they do, they can exert a twisting force on the side assemblies, when tightening down the screws. This can cause misalignment and rubbing.

I suggest either straightening the frame yourself or replacing it.  A new Reel Stand, Part# 30N-910 ( Same stand is used on 910 & 920 ) is available from Scott's Bait & Tackle for $10.90, plus shipping.

https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/Penn920.aspx

Be sure to download the Schematic, too !

Tight Lines !

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"

alantani

the curious thing is that it worked before and now it doesn't.  something happened in between.   :-\

foakes

Quote from: alantani on January 12, 2017, 06:08:30 PM
the curious thing is that it worked before and now it doesn't.  something happened in between.   :-\

Right, Alan --

If it worked OK prior to disassembly -- I would be inclined to check out everything else before buying a stand.

Assembly issues, levelwind system, drag, springs, shims, dropped spool, etc...lots of things to eliminate as you solve the puzzle.

From the description of the issue, and the work done so far -- parts are likely OK -- just need to find the culprit that occured between disassembly and re-assembly.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

mschiedt

thank you so much for your thoughts on my reel;
I will try out and do disassamble the reel and reasamble from scratch.

you know, being European, I am an ABU guy for about 40 years and can do a lot of things on all the old models from them,but those Penns are just diffrent in many little things.

Since all my Penns are in my place in Florida, I will get a hold on them again during summer vacation when I am there - if i do not get it done - I will sent you the reel over to do it for me - in exchange I provide you service on any ABU you have.
tight lines
Max

alantani

if you take it apart and put it back together five times, i will probably work on the fifth time and you will have no idea why.  it happens to me all the time....   :-\

Tightlines667

Quote from: alantani on January 12, 2017, 07:05:09 PM
if you take it apart and put it back together five times, i will probably work on the fifth time and you will have no idea why.  it happens to me all the time....   :-\

:-X
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Keta

Your problem is caused by using an improper or inferior handle arm wrench....   ;D
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

ez2cdave

Quote from: mschiedt on January 12, 2017, 06:53:42 PM
thank you so much for your thoughts on my reel; I will try out and do disassamble the reel and reasamble from scratch.

tight lines
Max

Max,

The two PDF files below should be very helpful to you !

Tight Lines !