Screwdrivers - what size and where do you purchase them.

Started by lpquick, April 17, 2011, 07:05:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Irish Jigger

Quote from: Pro Reel on April 21, 2011, 12:19:05 PM
You just can't beat the quality of a set of wiha screwdrivers. I mostly work on freshawter reels and a lot of those use smaller screws or use small access holes. My wiha set is the only ones that fit the shimano reels.
http://www.wihatools.com/pro_Precision.htm

x2  Great little screwdrivers,I just love mine.

Irish Jigger

Quote from: Nessie Hunter on April 21, 2011, 05:42:01 PM
So much more then screwdrivers, I need a Shaft Pin remover tool!!!
Im sure many of you have had issues with these darn, dreaded, hated Shaft pins also.
There are apparently a few on the market, very hard to come by anything with a little quality or good reviews....

I ran across the Link below (actually sent to me by a customer) Man I wanted them instantly.
Have a buddy who's wife returns home to Japan yrly, and he was looking into them for me, maybe have his Bro In Law order and ship to U S???  
Then Japan fell into the sea!!!   ?
Kind of gave up on it, But still need them or similar tool Badly!!!

http://page2.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/b120286629#enlargeimg

Think this link still works..  Need translator.  The online translators work, till you get past signing in to account..
Then I cant talk to seller!!!
Then the Quake & Tsunami & sort of gave up!!!

Any of you know of any tools like this that actually work ?
Or can get to the seller here.   Says he doesnt ship internationally, but I can (Maybe) get a local Address with forwarding to U S (Buddies Bro-in-law in Japan).....

Just replaced the spool bearing on my Trinidad TN16. Removed the pin as follows. Cut a short length of steel brake pipe tubing. Squeeze one end flat and grip vertically in bench vice with open end uppermost. Hold spool carefully and locate pin in tube. Use pin punch and light hammer to punch out pin which should now be contained in tube. Use the tube again when replacing pin. Good luck!

alantani

sometimes the pins are very stubborn.  careful, though, because too much pressure can bend the pin or mushroom the end.  that's why i prefer small visegrips.  it allows you to apply a precise amount of pressure.   get the small 6 to 7 inch model with a straight jaw, grind the jaws flat to get rid of the "teeth" and then cut a slot in back side the bottom jaw to accomodate the cross pin.

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

lpquick

Im sure many of you have had issues with these darn, dreaded, hated Shaft pins also.
There are apparently a few on the market, very hard to come by anything with a little quality or good reviews....

I ran across the Link below (actually sent to me by a customer) Man I wanted them instantly.
Have a buddy who's wife returns home to Japan yrly, and he was looking into them for me, maybe have his Bro In Law order and ship to U S???  

Nessie have you seen these before

Here's the link to the webite
http://www.japantackle.com/Tuning_parts/tuning_bearings.htm

I am considering ordering a pair, I purchase a handle upgrade for my new Calcutta TEC201DC recently. They are an excellent co. to do business with. Let me know if this helps.

Irish Jigger

Nessie Hunter

WOW, great little tool, thats all I would need, looks like it would work great.. 

Thanks.....    :o

Quote from: lpquick on April 26, 2011, 11:50:38 PM

Nessie have you seen these before

Here's the link to the webite
http://www.japantackle.com/Tuning_parts/tuning_bearings.htm

I am considering ordering a pair, I purchase a handle upgrade for my new Calcutta TEC201DC recently. They are an excellent co. to do business with. Let me know if this helps.

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!

day0ne

Part of the problem is not all cross head screws are Phillips and using a phillips screw driver in, say, a Frearson screw causes trouble. The Phillips head is designed to "cam out" under torque. Sound familiar?

Phillips

Created by Henry F. Phillips, the Phillips screw drive was purposely designed to cam out when the screw stalled, to prevent the fastener damaging the work or the head, instead damaging the driver. This was caused by the relative difficulty in building torque limiting into the early drivers.

The American Screw Company was responsible for devising a means of manufacturing the screw, and successfully patented and licensed their method; other screw makers of the 1930s dismissed the Phillips concept because it calls for a relatively complex recessed socket shape in the head of the screw — as distinct from the simple milled slot of a slotted type screw.

There are five relatively common (and two rather uncommon) Phillips drive sizes that are different from the screw size; they are designated 000, 00, 0, 1, 2, 3, and 4 (increasing in size).[3][5]

Frearson

The Frearson screw drive, also known as the Reed and Prince screw drive, is similar to a Phillips but the Frearson has a more pointed 75° V shape.[6] One advantage over the Phillips drive is that one driver or bit fits all screw sizes. It is often found in marine hardware and requires a Frearson screwdriver or bit to work properly. The tool recess is a perfect, sharp cross, allowing for higher applied torque, unlike the rounded, tapered Phillips head, which was designed to cam out at high torque. It was developed by an English inventor named Frearson in the 19th century and produced from the late 1930s to the mid-1970s by the Reed & Prince Manufacturing Company now of Leominster, Massachusetts. [7]
David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter

Norcal Pescador

I always wondered what the history was behind the Reed-Prince screws. I still see some applications for them. :)
Thanks!
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

Wintu

Quote from: Pro Reel on April 21, 2011, 12:19:05 PM
You just can't beat the quality of a set of wiha screwdrivers. I mostly work on freshawter reels and a lot of those use smaller screws or use small access holes. My wiha set is the only ones that fit the shimano reels.
http://www.wihatools.com/pro_Precision.htm
BEST TOOLS made  just ask any tool and die maker.

paul19057

I wonder if These are the screws they are using.
I have never heard of them but I ordered a set of drivers today.
Japanese Industrial Screwdriver or JIS screws
Paul

gadabout

For screwdrivers, I use one of these Chapman sets, particularly on collectible reels where I don't want to risk buggering up the screw slots.   There's a wide variety of sizes, and the shape of the driver allows you to get a very positive fit in the screw slot with lots of contact area.

seaeagle2

Somewhere else on the board there's a thread about Japanese Industrial Screwdriver or JIS screws that are similialary different to a phillips, they are used by asian mfgrs in stuff like computers, copiers, and possibly fishing reels......http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=3056.0
"One life, don't blow it" Kona Brewing
\"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there\'d be a shortage of fishing poles\" Doug Larson

jcallaham

I have a new diawa tatula 300. I needed to get to the level wind pawl. Wow there are some different type screws holding this reel together! A blade type works but just barely. reading this thread  a posidriv might work. the screws are small,at 1st glance I thought squaredrive, then torx,no go. a  blade with a centering pin would work well .

handi2

Are you looking for a spool shaft removing tool? The best thing going are ReelSpeeds Pin Pliers. Or you can make one out of an old set of vise grips per Alans instructions.

Keith
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

oc1

What Seaeagle said above.  I don't know the reel but the screws are probably JIS and you need JIS screwdrivers.  You'll ruin them with a Phillips head.
-steve