Improving your Lever Drag Capabilitys

Started by gstours, December 16, 2016, 01:38:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gstours

This is a short tutor of what I did to a project reel that works great now.   Many things sold to the consumer could use improving.  Some times its just a couple of simple adjustments.  Sometimes more.   Here is how I replaced the "fiberglass" drag washer on an otherwise pretty good fishing reel I bought just to see inside.....

Some of you may have seen my post questions in the drag cams and troubleshooting section?

but this reel is the same one that needed a little work.    ( for the inquiring mind)
   It seemed that the drag washer in this nice little 2 speed reel had a hard surfaced washer and was part of the drag cam improvement but actually on the back burner.

after inspection, it was decided that it could be replaced with a sheet of carbon fiber and so here is how I did it .

after screwing (clamping!) the sheet of cf in between 2 pc of plywood, the proper size hole was drilled with a simple spade drill bit,   the results were very good, nice clean, simple!

some trimming was made with simple shears.

the holes were drilled that fastened the cf washer to the drag plate. 

the thing was trimmed and checked and installed.  It seemed to be ok in the spool with the cover on!   Whew!!!
the reason I said  whew was that the cf drag material was a bout .015'' more than the china plate.   But I still had decent freespool.
   Since this reel is not intended for casting or live bait presentation  5-1 seconds of freespool is good with me.
        This is only intended to show what and how I did a seemingly difficult improvement to a pretty good reel and made it waaaay better.
   Of course it got the Cals Grease, and was smooth and now is in my Favorites Section.    I will show more video of it...... Its Silver and I call it China II.....   Peace to all......Good Fishin! :-*

Alto Mare

Nice job cutting that washer Gary. Do you believe those 4 screws will hold? The old material appears loaded with epoxy.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Bill B

Gary great idea sandwiching between the plywood to cut center hole...gonna put that idea in the favorite section too....Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Tiddlerbasher

gstours

Thanks for the question and interest  ???
  The factory drag washer appeared to be glossy, and hard.  even after greasing it it was jerky and erratic in performance.  It was an area that needed improvement.   So this was the basis for this post.  I also did some exhausting modifying of the drag cam, as  mentioned there is reference to that in the posts "Drag Ramps and Curves"  so the answer is in several parts.
  The reel set up would produce about 15 pounds before getting sticky and jerky.  I think its just the nature of a hard glossy plate under pressure.  After the cf washer was installed and the drag cam modified the reel could produce over 30 pounds of smooth drag and still have acceptible freespool.  The ramp up is steeper of course to get 30# with this small reel.  But no worse than my favorite Tiagras.
    And Yes the 4 screws seem to hold the cf washer ok,  and,  I was going to epoxy it to the metal plate but decided not to and just go try it.
  I have fished it a lot this year, setting waay better down, and am pleased with the little bugger, 
I guess its like a runt pet now thats soon becoming another "Favorite".   Below is the reel in question with an answer for you!! :-*

STRIPER LOU

Boy, you guys definitely have that down pat. Reel worked great and I see you added another guide to the rod. Great job!
.....................Lou

Alto Mare

Gary, you did the upgrade and showed it to us how it worked while in action, it doesn't get any better. Good job buddy ;)
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

gstours

Yes thanks folks,  The satisfaction of a job well done always is remembered after all the frustration and hard work is forgotten!
     This is just a testimony to what the forum is about.   I would not have attempted this type of thing having never being here to hear and see what others have done.
   I hope this will help others that have ideas,  and inquiring minds.   Merry Christmas to all! :-* 

MarkT

Nice! What reel is it?  Uh, "is it a keeper" is not what you ask AFTER it's been harpooned!
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

handi2

OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL