Pompano Beach 12/29/16

Started by conchydong, December 31, 2016, 03:38:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

conchydong

The last trip for 2016. Last Thursday we had a nice weather window before the cold front came through so my buddy Don and I went out to get some fresh fish. It looked like a Sunday in June as there were a ton of boats out on the water taking advantage of the Holidays and good weather.

Started out at a Vermilion Snapper spot off of Pompano and were catching them but most were in the 11" range(shorts) so we opted to head down to Fort Lauderdale to a deeper Vermilion spot that seem to always produce big ones.

On the run down we stopped at two spots to see if any Snowy Groupers were around but we got no love on them. When we reached the Vermilion spot we quickly completed our two man limit and got a decent Almaco Jack . We then moved on to a Porgy(Red) spot to try and limit out on them. Well we got our limit of Porgies (3 each) but the Triggers were on the chew. Every drop we were getting two or three. I lost count of the Triggers and didn't feel like digging through the cooler to get a accurate count so we started throwing them back. I knew we were under the limit but not exactly sure by how much. We did end up with fifteen, so we were still five under the limit.

All and all a nice day on the water.

foakes

Thanks for showing us how it is done, Scott!

Great ending for the year.

Best Always,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Alto Mare

That's a nice spread, Scott. Yep, a heck of a day on the water for sure.
Enjoy those!

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

akfish

That's a mess. I'm glad I didn't have to clean those triggers. Great on the table -- but **horrible** to clean!!
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

Bryan Young

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Bill B

CD, that's a mess of fish, sure gonna fill the freezer.....great job brother....Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

conchydong

Thanks everybody. While it looks like a lot even when I split it with my buddy, only one quart bag of Triggerfish made it to the freezer. When we have fresh fish, that is what we eat for the week. We mix it up with different recipes per species. Tonight I grilled some of the Almaco Jack along with Crawfish(that is what we call Florida Lobster) and some steaks for our New Years Eve dinner. The rest of the Almaco, my wife will make a Filipino dish called ginataang isda which is  fish cooked in coconut milk with calabasa squash, hot peppers and long beans or green beans. The Vermilions and Porgies will be fried either in beer batter for tacos or cracker meal breading for regular fried fish. The Trigger that I didn't freeze will be made into ceviche. I have to keep all of the smaller snappers and porgies whole as my wife thinks that filleting a fish is a waste. I tend to agree with her.
Happy new years,

Scott

coastal_dan

:o  Nice!  If we ever get down there I'm going to stop by for some fishing!  Triggerfish is amazing and what a blast to catch!
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

steelfish

triggers = Ceviche time

if you havent try them like that, you should now
The Baja Guy