505HS for big fish?

Started by biggiesmalls, January 20, 2017, 02:39:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Porthos

x2 what Mel said. It's not all about out-muscling the fish; it requires technique and you willing to let the drag do it's job.

The TR200G with 10lbs drag can do a lot. If properly loaded with 65lb braid you could get 400+ yds with a top shot of 30lb mono/fluoro. As long as you keep the level wind in sync, the sideways stress from the line on the worm gear will be minimized and prevent any premature wear (i.e., premature failure).

I pulled in a 50+lb BFT a few years ago on a 4.25:1 Penn 970

...that had 350+yds of 50lb braid, and only set at 9lbs drag:
https://www.bdoutdoors.com/forums/threads/tribute-7-19-7-21-1-5-day-took-home-1-fish.505359/

Have done 30-40lb YT with smaller, upgraded Penn 27 (http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=15627.0)

...and Daiwa 30H (http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=13484.0)

...(both w/ 50lb braid, 40lb top shots, 12lbs drag) on the Alan Tani SOA charters. The 2016 one here was with the 30H:

Either the TR200G and certainly the 4.2:1 50H would have worked equally well if not better. Would I want to take on the "...30 pound gag, 50 pound AJ, or 20 pound kingfish on the TR..." 50H, or any of my "smaller" reels?  Happily so with no hesitations.

Alto Mare

Great pic on that last one Wai, I don't remember seeing it.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Porthos

Quote from: Alto Mare on January 21, 2017, 05:23:10 PM
Great pic on that last one Wai, I don't remember seeing it.

And I think that is Alan in center of photo background at the stern...

akfish

On the Shimano TR200G: I see lots of them up here; they are quite popular as salmon trolling reels. I can't imagine they could really fish 10# of drag comfortably. I install carbon fiber drag washers so they're quite smooth, but more than a few come in with bad level winds. I suspect this is caused by frame torque at higher drag pressure. I do like the reel especially with carbon fiber drag washers, but really consider it a light line salmon reel.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

biggiesmalls

Thanks everyone for the help. I think I'll load it up with some 65# braid, as with the Abu, and then a topshot of 20-30 pound mono. Any ideas on how to get braid for cheap? Need to buy some braid for the 50H as well, heavier stuff though - 80 or 100 pound test.

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

also use your rod, always have/maintain a bend on it keeping in mind not to high stick it. last but not least...

tight lines!

btw use the same outfit for a while until it "becomes part of you".

Ron Jones

I think the original hundred dollar idea will make a solid reel. The 501 stand can take a lot of abuse, as proven on thousands of 349s. The cross bars are already stronger that posts to help the stand out. The stainless 5:1 gears in Jigmasters have turned in HUGE drag numbers with few issues that seem to be mostly worked out. I see no reason why you couldn't fish the reel with all the drag the 5 stack will give you and be fine. I'm thinking 20# of smooth drag for a 60# braid reel and the 501 has the capacity for that easy. Lots of really big fish have been caught on #60 braid and 20# of drag.

Just my $.02
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"