Reusing ratchet alert plates

Started by Kiwi_angler, January 28, 2017, 06:14:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kiwi_angler

I wonder if anyone has tried to turn the ratchet alert plate on a Penn Intl 50 around rather than fitting a new one. Of course you would have to machine/drill out the mounting holes to allow for the csk screws. Anybody tried this? Any success or failures would be appreciated.

Tightlines667

Yes.  You can do this.  

You really need a drill press to drill the correct countersunk holes though.  

Another option is to simply clamp the ratchet firmly then redrill each of the alert holes with a slightly larger bit.

You can also shim the plate up just a hair (maybe 0.3mm), just make sure it clears the low speed main gear in freespool with the cam backed off, and use loctite on the screws.  

If your ratchet is worn (groove, and rounded out elliptical holes), then the pawl is likely worn some as well.  The pawl can be shimmed slightly (depending on which reel model& version you have) on top (outside of the headplate) as well.  Sometimes a slightly longer spring is needed here.  

When I am servicing customers reels I typically don't bother with either of these, or similar measures (such as rehoning a drag plate), if new parts are available.

Many of the pawls are no longer available on older models though, and shimming isn't always a good option.  

Here's where it helps to have a friend with a lathe who can turn a new part when needed.  

Then again, it is just a clicker.

I am embaresed to say, I gave a customer his reel back with a weak clicker once while I awaited the correct part, and he lost a good fish when fishing a big money tournament as a result.  Wasn't entirely my fault since he knew the clicker wasn't working, and still fished the reel in the long corner position.  If he would have thrown it on a rigger, he would have seen the strike.  Also, Blue Marlin are notorious for throwing the hook regardless.

Doesn't hurt to try to refurb the plate.

John

Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Kiwi_angler

Thank you John for a most informed reply. You have given me some great options to consider. Much appreciated.