Help me select a new 50W

Started by ijlal, February 08, 2017, 09:31:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ijlal

Hi Alan and others,

I am looking to replace my Penn GLD30II with a new 50W two-speed. Since my budget (maxed) is at $300, I have short-listed two reels, in my range.

1. Okuma Cavalla CA50W II ($295 - New)
2. Okuma Solterra SLX50W II ($299.99 - New)

Cavalla is a solid Aluminum reel very similar to Titus Gold Series. I have been using a TG30II for years and have had no issues with it so far. Landed an 88# sail and fought an estimated 200+ marlin for 15 minutes on my TG30II with no issues at all, hence my confidence in the Cavalla

I am more interested in the Solterra because of its advanced design incorporating 2 thrust bearings. The only reason keeping me thinking is the graphite frame. Do you think it would hold on to 30# of drag, though most of my marlin fishing won't see more than 20# drag.

Whatever reel I end up buying I would be spooling it with 600yds of 65# JB Line One Non-Hollow Core (tested at 90+ by Paulus) and 60 or 80# Momoi topshot.

There is the option of going for a used Tyrnos 50 but that does not come in the Wide spool version, and more importantly, the pinion bearing would always be vulnerable under heavy drag settings.

Another cheaper ($263.99) option is the new Penn SQL50VSW. Again, it comes back to a graphite frame and no thrust bearings. I already have an SQL30VSW but have yet to catch a big fish on it, so cannot say. I believe it would do fine as a 50# reel with 16-17# at strike.

Looking forward to your inputs.

Cheers!
I live 'fishing'!

FatTuna

I'd try and grab a used international or tiagra off the internet. I've bought barely used Tiagra 50W LRSAs for exactly $300 each. They came spooled with 130lb hollowcore. You need to just put the time in and search for the right deal.

The squall is not a good reel in my opinion. It's made out of graphite. I've seen a lot of broken TLD 50s. With a reel that size, I'd avoid anything with a graphite frame, they crack.

I have a few Tyrnos 20s. They are really solid well built reels. I've never rebuilt a Tyrnos 50 but I'm confident it's just as good.

I would recommend a thicker lb test for the braid so it doesn't dig into itself.

ijlal

Quote from: FatTuna on February 08, 2017, 03:17:33 PM
I'd try and grab a used international or tiagra off the internet. I've bought barely used Tiagra 50W LRSAs for exactly $300 each. They came spooled with 130lb hollowcore. You need to just put the time in and search for the right deal.

The squall is not a good reel in my opinion. It's made out of graphite. I've seen a lot of broken TLD 50s. With a reel that size, I'd avoid anything with a graphite frame, they crack.

I have a few Tyrnos 20s. They are really solid well built reels. I've never rebuilt a Tyrnos 50 but I'm confident it's just as good.

I would recommend a thicker lb test for the braid so it doesn't dig into itself.

Thank you for your advice, really appreciate it.

One thing I do not understand is why people love to compare every graphite reel with TLD50's. If you search around you'll hardly find a Penn GLD50 that cracked like the the TLD50's do. Having said that, I myself do not revel the idea of a graphite frame this big. I have been looking around on ebay for some time but could not find a tiagra 50W at that price. Maybe you could suggest some other place to look? I did come across a few Internationals but they were really old reels. I would love to own a Tiagra 50W or an International if I could get one.

As for the braid, I am even considering 50# Sufix 832 that tests in at around 75, for my 30's. If I go higher than 65 on a high quality braid such as JB or Sufix 832, I would easily go past the IGFA 130# class. I currently am using 80# straight and have never had any issues with line digging in. Only thing is I am using cheap Chinese braid that test almost half its stated BS. The idea is to have the braid as backing just in case I hook into a monster, otherwise have enough mono on top to play most fish with.

Cheers!
I live 'fishing'!

FatTuna

Not sure where you live but I've always found the best deals on craigslist. You also get to inspect the reel in person. Feel the gears. Listen to the bearings, etc.

When buying on Ebay, the prices will generally be a bit higher but you can also select an auction that allows for returns. You can return for any reason. Gives you a safety net in case you get a goose egg. You can date the internationals by looking at the serial number. Old doesn't necessarily mean bad provided it wasn't used much and is really clean. You can find good deals on Ebay but you need to keep checking back. Good deals won't last long. Last year I got a really clean 80STW for $350 shipped. All it needed was one screw and two studs.  Auctions will usually be the cheapest option. Best offer sometimes works.

Good thing about a reel like a Tiagra is that you will be able to get parts for it.

I just don't trust larger graphite reels. I've had a few people give me TLD50s to do a frame swap on.

I'd say if you aren't having problems with the braid, go for it. Personally, I've had issues in the past. Even with heavier (200lb). I worked out a good spooling system now so I'm not anticipating anymore problems; however, I don't like taking risks when it comes to fishing. I have a friend that had a reel seize up on him due to braid bite. He said an 80-130lb rod snapped right in half. He said it sounded like a shotgun went off.  I don't fish IGFA so I don't know anything about that.

Jim Fujitani

I can not imagine how much 65# braided spectra you can get on to a 50W reel, even when topping it with sufficient 80# working mono!!  I understand that you are concerned with IGFA rules regarding BS of line but the line capacity of that 50W is tremendous with 65# braid.  If you drop the capacity down, you could include upgraded used TLD50II reels into your search of a $300 reel.  You will avoid the graphite frame issues with a TLD50II with the upgraded Wil-fish aluminum frame.

Regretfully, I don't have such a reel to offer you (my heavy reels are 20TLDII and 30TLDII reels with Tiburon and Wil-fish frames for 7-day LR trips).  There have to be quite a few used quality metal framed 50W reels out there since the current movement has been to smaller reels with good drags and braided spectra.  I haven't taken my Penn 50SW on a LR trip in years.

Jim

Jim Fujitani

Ijlal,

I apologize for assuming that you would have easy access to the used reel market.  The exchange rates and shipping would probably be cost prohibitive for private sellers, to Karachi Pakistan, and you probably can't access any legitimate Craig's List sellers.

Jim

ijlal

Quote from: FatTuna on February 08, 2017, 04:38:20 PM
Not sure where you live but I've always found the best deals on craigslist. You also get to inspect the reel in person. Feel the gears. Listen to the bearings, etc.

When buying on Ebay, the prices will generally be a bit higher but you can also select an auction that allows for returns. You can return for any reason. Gives you a safety net in case you get a goose egg. You can date the internationals by looking at the serial number. Old doesn't necessarily mean bad provided it wasn't used much and is really clean. You can find good deals on Ebay but you need to keep checking back. Good deals won't last long. Last year I got a really clean 80STW for $350 shipped. All it needed was one screw and two studs.  Auctions will usually be the cheapest option. Best offer sometimes works.

Good thing about a reel like a Tiagra is that you will be able to get parts for it.

I just don't trust larger graphite reels. I've had a few people give me TLD50s to do a frame swap on.

I'd say if you aren't having problems with the braid, go for it. Personally, I've had issues in the past. Even with heavier (200lb). I worked out a good spooling system now so I'm not anticipating anymore problems; however, I don't like taking risks when it comes to fishing. I have a friend that had a reel seize up on him due to braid bite. He said an 80-130lb rod snapped right in half. He said it sounded like a shotgun went off.  I don't fish IGFA so I don't know anything about that.

Quote from: Jim Fujitani on February 08, 2017, 05:32:08 PM
Ijlal,

I apologize for assuming that you would have easy access to the used reel market.  The exchange rates and shipping would probably be cost prohibitive for private sellers, to Karachi Pakistan, and you probably can't access any legitimate Craig's List sellers.

Jim

It's okay, Jim! :)

This is the main problem. I cannot even buy myself on ebay because for some reason, Paypal does not allow membership in Pakistan.

Shipping is also an issue but luckily a friend's family is coming here from Florida in a couple of months, so it would save me on shipping and custom duty. I was watching an almost new Cavalla on ebay, and had asked them to place a bid. Unluckily they did not understand how automatic bids work on ebay, so in the last minute they lost the auction. It was a great reel used only once and filled with 80# Ande... got sold for $180 :(

I will check Craiglist if I can, but these people have no experience in fishing gear so it would have to be a blind buy.

Thank you both for your advice and concern.
I live 'fishing'!

akfish

I cannot recommend any 50W size reels with graphite frames. They just don't stand up. If you are on this site, I assume you can do reel service yourself. If that's the case, have your friends buy a used Penn International and be prepared to service it yourself. I really think you'll be disappointed with either of the Okuma 50s you mentioned.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

Benni3

Just looked up south Florida craigslist  penn 50's $125 to $350  I  love the pawn shops in Florida

ijlal

Quote from: akfish on February 08, 2017, 11:00:52 PM
I cannot recommend any 50W size reels with graphite frames. They just don't stand up. If you are on this site, I assume you can do reel service yourself. If that's the case, have your friends buy a used Penn International and be prepared to service it yourself. I really think you'll be disappointed with either of the Okuma 50s you mentioned.

Yes, I can service an old reel but you know I wouldn't know what parts may be required until it has come here. If I need parts I would again be hung up. International parts are not cheap either. I could easily end up paying an extra 100 bucks for the parts plus 20-30 for shipping. If I had been in the US, I would definitely have taken this route, as I love to open my reels and fine tune them.

The Cavalla CA50WII is not a graphite reel. It is very similar in design to TG30II that I already own since 2010, and it has never let me down so far. This season I caught an 88# sail and played an estimated 200+ marlin on it for 15 minutes before it managed to throw the hook. Most fish we get here are up to 300# and can easily be handled by 30's. Remember, I am looking for a reel to replace my GLD30II so even a graphite 50W fished at a drag setting of low to mid 20s would be a good option with much greater line capacity.

I am not trying to refute your advice. Nothing like a Tiagra or International to do the job. If you do come across one in my range, do let me know.

Thanks!
I live 'fishing'!