Nylon oscillation clip 8631 for Cardinal 6--Anything better?

Started by PhillyJoe, May 02, 2024, 07:54:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Swami805, PhillyJoe and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

PhillyJoe

Picked up a nice clean Cardinal 6 on ebay, lured in by discussion on this site. Didn't take much persuading, I admit...

Sadly and unsurprisingly, the nylon oscillation arm clip is broken. Maybe that is why the reel looks mostly unused?

There is a seller on ebay who has the part for $15 + $5 ship, which would be worth it to me to get this baby back up fishing but I am curious if there are any current suppliers of metal clips?

Somewhere on this site, I believe I read an old post discussing this issue and pointing to a guy in the UK, I believe.

There is another seller making 3-D printed replacements but I question the shear strength of printed parts based on past experiences. They also do not have the integral metal sleeve of the originals.  (edit--Seller is Mike's Reel Repair and material listed as "engineered resin" so maybe I'm underestimating the part. Also looks milled rather than printed to my unexpert eye.)

Any suggestions or should I just bite the bullet and go for the easy ebay replacement, OEM style part?

foakes

Hi Joe —-

I think that the nylon block would last likely 20-30 years in a "6", provided the reel gets just a basic service every few years.  So you would be probably OK with the plastic resin oscillation clip.

However, a lot of 6-7's are used in tougher conditions —- and a metal clip block would be superior.

With a 3 or 4, I wouldn't be so concerned —- but it is your call.

Here is a complete new factory arm and metal block.  $20 total, including shipping, to you ($15 + $5).  Everything is solidly attached already as a unit with no resin, or plastic pieces.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.