Jigmaster 500

Started by sharkman, January 10, 2017, 11:18:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sharkman

The jigmaster I have has the quick remove feature on the non handle side. Is this rare. I read somewhere they on done this for a few years. The jigmaster is red and made in the USA.

reel man

Penn made some of the Jigmasters with the removable side plate on the left side of the reel.  Not sure if the model # was 500L, but it was only for a short time.

alantani

I think it was the 500s.
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Maxed Out

Yep, 500s. The 500s also had side plates made from different material.
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

reel man

You are both correct, thank you.  Think the L was for reels with aluminum spools.

thorhammer

S made in the 70's; sideplates are delrin. You may pleasantly find steel gears and a lot of chrome under the hood instead of brass.

PacRat

500s was my first Penn and I just assumed that all Jigmasters had left side access. I really prefer the right side access as it makes life easier and you can do gearing swaps if you are limited on how many rigs you can bring along on the boat. Just bring an extra spool and right side plate and you have a very versatile rig. This set up can also save you some bucks by only purchasing one frame. I like to have complete, ready to fish back-up rods though.
-Mike

thorhammer

yeah....having un-built parts, even under the guise of being for switch-out, makes me all twitchy and I start sending Scott's orders...:)

sharkman

So will the aftermarket parts (Tiburon frames, narrowing kits, double dog bridge) for 500 work on the 500s. 

fishgrain

Penn Jigmaster 500S - red side plates probably the least popular jigmaster of all time

as reel man pointed out the 500L is with aluminum spool and 500M (metal spool)

don't know what the S stands for but now i'm curious

RowdyW

Quote from: sharkman on January 24, 2017, 04:48:24 PM
So will the aftermarket parts (Tiburon frames, narrowing kits, double dog bridge) for 500 work on the 500s. 
Yes, Yes, & Yes.

JRD

Quote from: RowdyW on January 24, 2017, 05:53:13 PM
Quote from: sharkman on January 24, 2017, 04:48:24 PM
Yes, Yes, & Yes.

I ran across this problem last night so the first yes may be a maybe.  The clicker side inner rings have locking posts peened to it.  On the frame side they look like little rivets that stand proud of the ring.  Look right next to the reel seat.  At least on Accurate frames this does not allow the inner ring to sit flush against the frame.  I don't know if the tiburon frames have reliefs milled in, and for sure the style of tiburon frame where you don't use the inner ring won't work.  Everything else is a Yes

Alto Mare

Tiburon frames will do just fine. I did have a problem on one while screwng in the thumb screw, I guess it wasn't milled wide enough, or something was jammed. Once I forced the thumb screw using  pliers, it went in and out as it should from there.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

thorhammer

Aside from the Delrin plates chipping a little easier (don't drop your reels anyway), I love the S....usually have steel gears and other shiny goodness under hood than brass, and eye pop with red anni spool.

sharkman

Thanks everyone.  I looking to build to lend to a buddy of mine on a 39 hr long range trip. Hopefully this will be a good reel for mangrove snapper due to faster retrieve rate.