ewrapping Factory traditional casting setup into acid / spiral wrap, good idea?

Started by steelfish, February 03, 2017, 01:59:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

steelfish

the more I get into rebuilding rods the more I look my factory rods to rebuildi them with upgraded accesories or to make them spiral wrap.

now I got this two Phenix rods axis 802H and Black diamond PSW700H and they are wrapped in conventional way, do you guys think is a good idea to rewrap them on acid style? for quality of the guides on this rods I can use them again just with the configuration on spiral way, dont know if leave them like they are and dont mess it trying to find the correct spacing on guides on the acid configuration.

Quote from: Steve-O on May 12, 2014, 06:30:04 PM
PLUS+1000 on the spiral(or acid) wrapping the guides. Unless it's a spinning rod already in my quiver, I go spiral wrapped. Even the store bought or used rods I have purchased get re-wrapped spiral style. My kayak rods for carp  with Abu-Garcia bait casters get the same treatment. Amazing difference in the hand when the big fish load up the rod.  You can open your non-reeling hand to see the proof in the pudding.  NO reel TWIST! the reel stays on top and even some big halibut caught in AK on my home builds were no problemo to reel in.

this comment from Steve was from some time ago on another thread
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=10614.15
and got me thinking about it.

I also have some less expensive rods some Sabre (big 5 store model), Trevala XXH, Basspro shops inshore, quantum blue runner inshore, etc all those are wrapped convetional way, I dont know if worth the time to rewrap them acid setup or better try to sell them for cheap and get the accesories to build something from scratch and make it acid wrap.
The Baja Guy

MarkT

I have Seeker G6480 and G6470 that were rewrapped Acid by my friend J.Akuhed.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

otownjoe

The only concern I would have is that the rods were splined properly in relation to placement of the reel seat.the cheaper the rod the less likely that in will be correct. For me it would be a waste of time to do the work and not have the rod built correctly. Changing the orientation of the reel seat would be worth it on the Phenix rods but probably not the other ones. Although they would be good ones to practice on. Just my two cents and I'm no expert.   Joe

droppedit

I've watched the acid rods under load with the line running from left to right and the reel staying upright in place. When the majority of the guides are under the rod it helps keeping the rod from torquing. Lot of small charters like this set up because many new fishermen are not fighting the setup. Makes for happier clients. I used to have one wrapped that way for my jigging rod. I have a bad habit of casting jigs from the pulpit and wanted to see how this would work. I found that I was losing about 15-25% distance in my casts. The people I've made these for love them. You just have to try and see for yourself.

Dave

Some days the supply of available curse words is insufficient to meet my demands.

http://www.turnerscustomrods.com

steelfish

@ Mark, thanks buddy, those are nice rods really help to make me an idea that its not that bad to have a factory rod rewraped acid way

@Joe, those are a really good points I didnt took into consideration, I have rewraped enough rods to feel confident on how to do it and finish with a good job and also with my choice of colors, I might start with the trevala rod since acid wrap supposedly help more on jigging rods and will later do the Phenix, the other rods might not worth the hassle, but would be cool to have some midrange rods acid wrapped  ;D

@Dave, thanks for the comment, this are the kind of input I was looking for
The Baja Guy

thorhammer

Alex you will have no problem in the skill to do this. I would recco you flex the rod to determine the spacing as it may different than where the guides currently sit, due to where spline is.

Swami805

Since the position of the reel hasn't changed the spline shouldn't be an issue. The guides will be moved so there will be additional work to refinish the blank. All well worth it if the rods will serve you better. Hope you post the process you use and the results. I've built some phenix rods but never fished one, very nice blanks. Sheridan
Do what you can with that you have where you are

steelfish

Quote from: Swami805 on February 03, 2017, 08:51:30 PM
Since the position of the reel hasn't changed the spline shouldn't be an issue. The guides will be moved so there will be additional work to refinish the blank. All well worth it if the rods will serve you better. Hope you post the process you use and the results. I've built some phenix rods but never fished one, very nice blanks. Sheridan

I actually know in advance that it might be not that easy as turning the guides upside down and call it day.
currently is still just a project in mind, I did a static test on the PSW700H phenix and the curvature /flex of the rod show me (I might be totally wrong) that many guides could be used on the same spot where currently sit, its a 7ft rod with 9 guides, I think all those guides will help to use as many needed to properly do the spiral transition.

I currently working on my first acid wrapped rod, it is a factory made Musky rod 25-50lb, took the light wire guides and will put some PacBay DP guides, I was doing a static test on it (finally after 8 months waiting on line) to find the proper spots for the guides on acid wrap, guides are currently staying in place with masking tape but could lift 10# easily in place, few minutes later I took that factory phenix rod and took some pics of the bent with the same dumbbell in case I wanted to evaluate the option to acid wrap it later, checking the pics I think its pretty doable with no much change, not an asap project, tho.

The Baja Guy

otownjoe

With a spiral wrap you will probably be able to get away with less guides than a traditional wrap. Especially on a longer rod. You should be able to use one of the smaller guides from the tip for your transition guide.you are on the right track with a static test . Good luck, Joe