Penn 50

Started by SoCalAngler, February 08, 2017, 04:50:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SoCalAngler

My nephew picked up a 50 two speeded by Cal for dirt cheap, the only problem is the reel has no drag. He dropped of the reel to me to look at and I think I found the problem.

I have only done basic maintenance on one other 50 and can't find full pics of both ends of the drag knob but I'm guessing the small metal piece on the bottom left of the pic sheared off the knob. Does that seem to be the case?

Also, should part # 141-50 CAM FOLLOWER and part # 143-50 ADJUSTING SCREW move inside one another? To me it looks like the drag adjustment knobs flange fits into the Cam Adjusting Screw which when turned pushes on the bearing which in turn pushes on the drag plate to adjust drag. It's hard for me to put it into words but does this sound right?

The reason I ask is because part 141 and 143 will not turn independent from one another. When I stick a screwdriver inside the adjusting screw and hold the can follower with a rag I can not move the adjusting screw.

I have the parts soaking in some carb cleaner right now but I should be able to turn the adjusting screw, right?

Here is the schematic I used.
https://www.mysticparts.com/Assets/images/pennparts/schematics/50.pdf

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackles old online store over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"

Tightlines667

You've got it right.
Soak the cam assembly (I lioe 50:50 ATF:ACE), tap the bearing out (if you havn't already done so), put the cam follower in a vice, and apply steady pressure in a clockwise direction with a large flat screwdriver to get the adjusting screw out.  A few taps around the perimeter, and maybe heating with a torch can help too.

Before you place your parts order, do a complete dissasembly, and cleaning.  Clean all bearing out throughly and replace if there is any felt roughness (with a side load applied).  Check the clicker pawl, and ratchet plate for wear, and if the Bellevilles are corroded, or seem rather flat.. replace them as well.  If you have tye old style drag, consider upgrading to a duradrag, if its CF.. grease it with Cal's.  Make sure you have a Teflon washer under tye cam assembly.

Good luck!
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

SoCalAngler

Thanks for your insight.

Yes bearing is out the the rest of the reel looks in fine shape. I will check all the bearings before I put it back together. The drag is a duradrag which I'm sure was installed when Cal 2 speeded the reel if it was not already CF.

I thought I was heading down the right path but wanted to check with the pro's first.

Again thank you

SoCalAngler

Well no luck with getting the cam follower and cam adjusting screw to separate. The torque to bust the drag adjusting knob's flange must have screwed up the threads of one piece or the other. I cleaned, then soaked with a with a ATF-ACE mix, heated a few times and tried to separate, cooled a couple of times as well, placed in a vice and tried to turn without any luck.

I told my nephew to order these,

Penn Part Number       Price              Name
141-50                       $14.10             141-50 Cam Follower
143-50                         $6.80             143-50 Screw, Adjusting Screw
144-50                       $20.65             144-50 Knob, Pre-set Knob

With the price he paid for the reel and the parts ordered he is into the reel for under $150. Not too bad to get a older Cal's Two Speed reel some life again.

Tightlines667

Wow,
I have never had them stuck bad enough where I couldn't seperate them.  I have a box full of cam parts and I think I have only used 1 or 2.  LMK if you have any trouble sourcing parts, and I will send you what you need. 

Worth a try none-the-less.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

SoCalAngler

Thanks for the offer to help source parts Tightlines. It seems Scott's has them in stock and my nephew ordered them already and they should be on their way.