Mak50SEa...so excited but so broke!

Started by TJ Arima, February 10, 2017, 10:29:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TJ Arima

Wow this is a good looking reel. Bought it New from a fellow on bloodydecks.com and I'm so exited but man...I need to save up for rod and line now. Anybody using Mak50SEa strictly for trolling? Also, would it be wise to open it up and take a look inside. Since I bought it New but from another person and not a dealer, can I register for warranty. I have the warranty slip not filled out yet. Thanks in advance.

handi2

Your a happy man!!

Yes you can register it for the warranty.

No you dont need to open it up. They come ready to go and dont need a pre service. Its hard not to look inside but you will see its all good.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

akfish

Seems almost a shame to use a Mak50SEa just for trolling. The SE version is optimized for live bait fishing so it has unshielded spool bearings and very fast lube. What this mens is that it will take a little more maintenance than a reel with greased bearings. But you'll love that reel.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

TJ Arima

Quote from: akfish on February 11, 2017, 01:20:24 AM
Seems almost a shame to use a Mak50SEa just for trolling. The SE version is optimized for live bait fishing so it has unshielded spool bearings and very fast lube. What this mens is that it will take a little more maintenance than a reel with greased bearings. But you'll love that reel.

I hear you there akfish. It was a great price I couldn't pass (less than gold mak50). I been doing reel research for the last 2 months and the Makairas are the one I wanted. The original plan was to get the gold Makairas since I will only troll but this one might just give me the reason to try chunking/live baiting. Besides, if maintenance gets too crazy, I'll just pull the spool bearings and grease them up.

Reinaard van der Vossen

I have the gold version of the Mak 50W and apart from trolling I also use it for live baiting and dead baiting. No problem whatsoever. The Sea version has somewhat better freespool so it should be even easier.