Rod Marking

Started by sharkman, December 06, 2016, 10:32:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sharkman

I bought a custom rod with the following marking c17 GP 40lb. Can anyone tell me what this means.

SoCalAngler

Kind of hard to tell without knowing anything else about the rod or manufacture but the C usually stands for a conventional rod (not spinning), next number in this case 17 usually stands for the blank model number or mandrel used to make the blank and the 40 lb should mean it is a 40 lb rated rod. As for the GP this could be the manufacture of the blank, what the blank is made out of or even the initials of who the rod was built for or who wrapped the rod. The later two are unlikely IMO

Hope this helps

sharkman

Thanks SoCalAngler for the reply. The rod is a conventional rod.  I got the rod on a trade and don't know much about it.  The rod has a sticker on it Ultimate Customs Tampa Florida.  The telephone number on the sticker is no longer valid. I have tried internet searches and cant find anything. Thanks again.

sharkman

I drug the rod back out and took some pictures to see if anybody recognizes parts used to assemble. Trying to figure what reel to match up with.

Newell Nut

The guides look like the American Tackle heavy brass guides which are common on some Florida builds. When the black wears off you should see dark brass edges. Nothing wrong with them and really tough. aluminum Oxide rings.