113h/114h senator - short version

Started by alantani, January 25, 2009, 01:57:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alto Mare

Or we could make new gears as Miz MO is showing us and have eared  CF washers, what a brilliant design.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Keta

I'm about 1-1/2 days ahead of you on this Sal.  The gear thickness between the OD and washers will be a factor (smaller OD for the washers) but if every metal washer is connected to the gear sleeve and every fiber washer to the gear more surface area is working.  When I get up north again I will stop at the gear shop and this will be a consideration.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

George4741

Quote from: maine guide on April 29, 2012, 12:25:12 PM
The converting to 5+1 and dremelling got me thinking. How much of a problem would it be to just do 4+1?  

Quote from: Keta on April 29, 2012, 05:04:42 PM
What is your thinking about 4+1 over 5+1 drag stack?  I always try to stuff as many washers into the gear as I can get.

If you are concerned about dremeling out the sideplate, then read the solution I posted today, titled "Another 1+5 drag solution for smaller black Senators".  You might NOT have to dremel out your sideplate; I didn't.  

Regards, George
viurem lliures o morirem

Makule

Would the ears on the fiber washers be strong enough to hold them in place?

Quote from: Keta on April 29, 2012, 06:04:50 PM
I'm about 1-1/2 days ahead of you on this Sal.  The gear thickness between the OD and washers will be a factor (smaller OD for the washers) but if every metal washer is connected to the gear sleeve and every fiber washer to the gear more surface area is working.  When I get up north again I will stop at the gear shop and this will be a consideration.
I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.

Bruce

Hello Malule      I would think so.
                        On Charter special it works.

Thank you  B.
Buzz

Willy B

Alan, I am servicing an old 12/0 Penn Senator - will be replacing the reel posts and drag washers - no problem.  The problem is there is green corrosion on the spool, and when I soak it in Vinegar, the green crud dissipates, but then the chrome(?) finish on the spool goes too.

Is there anything I should coat the the spool with before I reload the line?  Or should I just leave the exposed spool surface alone and just rinse regularly.

Thanks,

Willy B

broschro

Quote from: Willy B on May 17, 2012, 01:29:35 PM

Alan, I am servicing an old 12/0 Penn Senator - will be replacing the reel posts and drag washers - no problem.  The problem is there is green corrosion on the spool, and when I soak it in Vinegar, the green crud dissipates, but then the chrome(?) finish on the spool goes too.

Is there anything I should coat the the spool with before I reload the line?  Or should I just leave the exposed spool surface alone and just rinse regularly.

Thanks,

Willy B
Sand blast with a fine glass bead and paint or powder coat

redsetta

G'day Willy,
Bryan made great suggestion some time ago regarding spool protection:
Quote...you may want to polish the spool with pure carnuba wax. That stuff puts on a very hard coating to protect the surface. At least this is what I do.
I've used this trick for some time now and rate it...
Good luck, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Norcal Pescador

Quote from: redsetta on May 17, 2012, 09:20:05 PM
G'day Willy,
Bryan made great suggestion some time ago regarding spool protection:
Quote...you may want to polish the spool with pure carnuba wax. That stuff puts on a very hard coating to protect the surface. At least this is what I do.
I've used this trick for some time now and rate it...
Good luck, Justin

Sometimes I wax the spool, but usually I use Brasso. But then a few of my reels have the brass pox showing through. ;D :-\
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

Bill B

Hey guys hate to beat a dead horse but need some input on the drag stack of my 113H, half frame.  Looking the various tutorials I get the sequence of the carbon fiber and stainless steel washers, but i discovered this 113H has the 5 carbon and 5 stainless, but i found a thicker stainless keyed washer that's not in the schematics or any other tutorial i could find.  when i stack everything inside the side plate the stack rubs the side plate; unless I turn the drag in.    I've compared it to my 114HLW full frame and 112H all post, but nothing matches in configuration (is this an apples and oranges comparison?  And yes everything is USA Made)  When I re-install leaving a thin keyed washer out i can crank it down and lock up the drag.  I hate to have extra parts left over, should I just leave it in this current configuration? Thanks guys in advance, I really enjoy the atmosphere here compared to others.

My current stack inside is:
carbon
stainless
carbon
stainless
carbon
stainless
carbon
stainless
carbon
thick stainless
beville washer

Outside is:
shaft sleeve
beville washer
star drag
thin keyed washer
handle and nut
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Bryan Young

I would go

My current stack inside is:
carbon
stainless
carbon
stainless
carbon
stainless
carbon
stainless
carbon
thin stainless
beville washer

Outside is:
shaft sleeve
star drag
handle and nut

If the thick washer is rubbing on your side plate.

Did your reel come with all of those washers?  Seems more than what Penn has designed into those reels..
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Bill B

::)Thanks Bryan...yes I bought it new as a combo and that's what's so puzzling about the quantity of washers....it seems to workfine  and the drag seems fine with your configuration....I guess sometimes extra parts is a good thing... ::)
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Bryan Young

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Fishit 2

I'm trying to replace my drag washers, I got the kit from xxxb&t.com, one kit says 10 washers the other says 11 - are they counting the ht-100 under the handle as the 11th and does that really add any drag power? The old timer who fixes my reels told me to only put the fiber washer under the handle and the ht-100 doesn't do anything for the drag?
President of the Down Beach High Class Hookers fishing Club.

alantani

there is a washer that goes under the main gear.  smoothdrag.com has one.  i will use that or a penn ht-100 #6-875.  if you need one in a hurry, send me a pm with this info and your address and i will mail one out to you.  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!