113h/114h senator - short version

Started by alantani, January 25, 2009, 01:57:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alto Mare

Hey Bert,
1) I'm going to recommend that you change the complete drag stack, you can contact smooth drags.com ,under general maintenance and tips and explain to them that you're looking for a complete kit of 1+5 drags for a 113, I think the kit comes with thinner washers, just mention to Dawn that you're trying to change the 1+3 configuration to 1+5. I would also change the washer under the main gear.
2) The dog and spring should be installed the same way you're showing it in the pictures.
3)You will need the washer that looks like a hat( good description). You have what it's called a easy access drag design, what that means is that you could get to the drags for maintenence without the need to open the reel ( you should always open the reel for maintenence). You will probably need the tension spring, this part goes over the spacer washer(in your case the hat), the part # is 8-60. About the additional spacer, we willl need to wait and see if it's needed.
Note: You might want to check with Scott's at Pennpart.com for your drag kit and the tension spring, this way you get everything at once. I hope this helps you Bert, don't worry about my patience, I have lots of it.
Try to get your parts( unless someone else has another solution) and if you have problems with the assembly , we're here to help.
Take care, Sal  ;)

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

alantani

ok, bert, i just got a care package into the mail for you.  it includes a 98-60 stainless steel gear sleeve, a jigmaster power handle, a carbontex drag washer that goes under the main gear, five of the ht-100 #6-60's, an extra keyed and extra slotted metal washers, and some grease.  it should arrive by saturday!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

broadway

Hey Sal,

Sorry I didn't notice this thread... I would have helped put in my 2cents, but I will say you handled it well and am sure Metal Man appreciates it! 
Alan, as always... to the rescue with the goody bag!  Metal Man if you have any more problems post it in the general questions/trouble shooting so more people can see it, and help you out.  Best of luck getting that back together... patience is the name of this game.
Dom

metalman

Due to technical difficulties, couldn't fit things together properly. PM to Alan sent :)
Thanks Sal for your patience ;D
Bert

sushiman12345

Total newbie here, I stripped my 114 h2 penn senator 6/0 and put it back together following the short version. I am really confused on how to put the washers and gears back together. I have looked around this site and I saw that link you posted about the stainless keyed/brass washers and I really don't know what those means and what they look like. If someone could really help me out that would be very much appreciated. I just went to bass pros to get some new grease because my pole lost it's tension knob on the side that controls the release of the line in freespool. After it fell off my pole started acting absolutely haywire so I tried the tutorial on how to put the pole back together. If someone could give me a step by step on the washers/ gears that would be incredible. Thanks!

Gman_WC

There's a basic picture from the smooth drag web site showing fiber and metal drag washers.
Not sure what pole means? Are you talking about eccentric the lever (freespool lever)
-gary

http://smoothdrag.com/installation.html
Walnut Creek, CA

Bryan Young

The keyed washer looks like a double D ID, and the eared washers have two ears sticking out of the washer, 180 deg. from each other.

First a carbon washer under the gear.  Then the gear.  Then a carbon washer, keyed washer, carbon washer, eared washer, carbon washer, keyed washer, carbon washer, eared washer, carbon washer, keyed washer.

It's not from a 114 but it looks the same, but in different sizes.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

sushiman12345

Thanks a bunch! and by pole I mean reel. Sorry about that. I still have to get used to all the terms. I'll try and fix it when I'm not working and let you all know how it works out. Appreciate the effort with the posts! thanks

CaptJ

I am servicing my 113h senator.  How do you get the pinion gear off the spool?

CaptJ

I got it.  Penetrating lubricant is great.  Thanks for these awesome tutorials.

metalman

Gotta thank you all for your time and  patience!!! I had to succumb, and sent my reel to Alan. He found out the bridge wasn't right, 'cause my 113 was REEEEEL old (reel...real; get it ;) :D?) Well, I used the reel this past Sunday, had 2 blistering hits off opelu, but 1st one came back with the head only :'( and the 2nd one came back with the stinger hook wiped so cleanly, it looked like I didn't even tie a stinger hook on :o :'( :'(! All my boys said: ono :'( :'( :'(
Will change my rig to wire for this weekend ;D
Aloha to you all,
Metalman

broadway

Glad to hear ya got it wet!  The really old reels (Senators) are better than the new.  You'll have it for a life time take care of it, and if you need help feel free to PM me with any senator questions.  I've been known to tinker with Senators from time to time  ;) Good luck next time out!
Dom

Bryan Young

Aloha Metalman,

Hanapa'a!!!  2 hits, that's a good day.  Glad your reel got some use.  That's more than I can say for myself at the moment.

Please post pics of your catch, and the the fishing tales, in http://alantani.com/index.php?board=17.0.  Also, if your new rigging worked, and willing to share, please post in http://alantani.com/index.php?board=18.0.

Mahalos,
Bryan
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

alantani

so, handle grip size?  drags?  everthing work ok?
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

metalman