113h/114h senator - short version

Started by alantani, January 25, 2009, 01:57:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

metalman

Quote from: Bryan Young on May 05, 2011, 03:19:11 PM
Aloha Metalman,

Hanapa'a!!!  2 hits, that's a good day.  Glad your reel got some use.  That's more than I can say for myself at the moment.

Please post pics of your catch, and the the fishing tales, in http://alantani.com/index.php?board=17.0.  Also, if your new rigging worked, and willing to share, please post in http://alantani.com/index.php?board=18.0.

Mahalos,
Bryan

I'll share some, but can't share all, since I promised my friend that the secrets he showed me, I wouldn't share, or he won't show me more secrets!!! :D All I can say for now, is my catching a lot of fish on a 23' boat is SOOOO different from fishing on a sailing kayak!!!!!! :o ;D

alantani

bert, that's totally not a problem.  bryan and i were talking about the difference in culture between northern california and hawaii.  getting people to be more open and willing to share will take a very long time, or maybe even never.  i have found, however, that once a person is helped, he is more willing to help others!   ;D
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

metalman

Bryan Young

No probs Bert.  Know it being born and raised there.  Funny, in Hawaii we all talk about the Aloha spirit and kokua one another, BUT...  I've always though it was funny growing up with the kokua spirit, but it did not apply to fishing or fisherman. 

If you no can share the techy stuff, fishing reports/pics of sashimi/poke/...before it's cut would be awesome.

Bryan.

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

metalman

Well, there are some stuff I've been learning the past 10 years myself, that I'd be willing to share :)
Alan said you were trying to build up those threads, I'm guessing to help out the newbies, so they won't have to suffer like we did ;D
I was approached by some newbies that already had attitude of thinking they were better than the other kayak fishing and diving newbies. I just replied to their request: "sorry man, I had my friend do it for me, so I can't tell you how he did it!"
lol.... ;)

Tidetime

Quick question, I have a 113h, older style with the burgundy plates, I went through and cleaned it, and put new drag washers in.  I noticed once I assembled it that I could not stop the freespool.  I tightened the Left side bearing as tight as I could and still wouldn't slow the spool down.  The reel worked fine as far as drag and everything else goes.  Any ideas?

wolvie

The experts may weigh in here with more authority, but to my knowledge, that adjustment is only for spool play and is not meant to be a cast control. 

Norcal Pescador

Quote from: wolvie on May 09, 2011, 02:56:36 PM
The experts may weigh in here with more authority, but to my knowledge, that adjustment is only for spool play and is not meant to be a cast control. 
Yep, that's what it's for. The left side bearing should be adjusted for zero drag and zero end play, a very fine line. If it's too tight, you'll end up ruining both left and right bearings. If your freespool is better now than before you rebuilt the reel then you did it right. 8)
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

broadway

Wolvie and Rob are 100% correct, (bearing not meant for cast control) however it should effect the spool (slow it down/stop) if tightened all the way down... it WILL rub on the spool. Being a novice and not thinking too long about it I would tell you to make sure the spool is seated properly, and to make sure the handle side bearing (opposite side)is tightened properly. ...but I'l keep thinkin'.  Best of luck
Dom

Alto Mare

These guys are all right. The earlier models had bushings and  spring tension, that allowed you to adjust the free spool. On the  the 113H, the left side bearing is used to adjust spool play. Like rob mentioned, if the spool is too tight with no sideway play you will ruin the bearings and probably crack the plates under heavy load, you should always have a little side play with the spool....very little.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Tidetime

Good to know, thanks for the replies, It reeled in a nice snapper and grouper and the drag worked great so maybe I am just not use to it being cleaned and working smooth..

Bryan Young

Success!!!  Isn't it awesome to discover that you actually did it right and it works better than before?
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

erikpowell

Bula all you Senator lovers!... I'm in the process of converting my 113h, (maroon sideplate) to the Tiburon narrow frame kit I got from Alan. w/new s.s. gear sleeve & ht100's..... ( the conversion didn't work with the first regular 113 i tried it on..the spool shaft was too long for the non bearing 113 sideplate). Luckily a friend gifted me a 113h in great shape so i'm back on track...
However, once i reattach the bridge and tighten it down, the gear shaft wont turn, like it's bound or pressure fit ???
I'm wondering; Do I need to dremel the sideplate like the 112hn because I've converted to narrow spool?? Is that what's going on?
Whaddaya reckon? Vinaka guys

Norcal Pescador

Um ..... narrow frame and a narrow spool, right? I believe you have to use the inner rings, too. ???
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

Alto Mare

There is a new kit from Tiburon that gets installed without the inner rings, but i don't thing the one you have is it, its fairly new. About the 113, the narrow kit would never work on that reel, the spool shaft is different from the 113H. I've done many 113h and never had to dremel out the side plate, it always worked out for me using the 1+5 drag stack configuration. I'm going to recommend that you take that reel apart and reassemble it, it might be something simple, like the dog or spring being  out of position. Good luck!
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.