Tyrnos 20 problem

Started by mbh, February 21, 2017, 12:01:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mbh

I have been given a Tyrnos 20 to service and fix. Problem is that as the lever drag is increased, the handle gets tighter and tighter to wind? why is this and how is it fixed. I suspect someone else has had it open before me. I have replaced the drag washer as I thought it might be worn down too much, but that made no difference.  Please help!

handi2

You will need to replace the right side plate bearing or commonly called the pinion bearing. That's it :)
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

exp2000

Do you notice any roughness as well when cranking the reel?

You might want to check the pinion bearing and the end spool bearing.

These bear the axial load of the spool assembly when the drag lever is engaged.

Damage may occur to these firstly by corrosion.

Or secondly by over-pressure drag settings beyond what the reel was designed to accommodate often due to the use of thick braid with very high breaking strain.

De-grease the bearings and examine for signs of roughness when spinning.

As for correct reel assembly, well that is always a wildcard so refer to the schematics.
~

akfish

Probably 90% of the Tyrnos' that come in my shop need the pinion bearing replaced. I'd bet anything that's what you need -- and your symptoms sure suggest it. It's a simple fix but you will need a new bearing. You can get it from Smooth Drag or Shimano.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

SoCalAngler

Before you tear down the reel what drag numbers are you getting when the handle becomes harder to turn? It may be the case that the preset is set too high.

Also did the reel have this problem before the service? If not make sure when you install the drag lever you have the lever set in the freespool position when you you install the drag preset knob.

MarkT

Sounds like Tyrnos grind through pinion bearings like Avets. The spool bearings should be cleaned and oiled with ReelX or tsi321 or something like that.  The non-spool bearings should be packed with grease.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

alantani

yeah, i'd bet the farm that it's the right main side plate bearing, even if it "feels" ok.....  :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

handi2

Quote from: alantani on February 21, 2017, 02:47:16 AM
yeah, i'd bet the farm that it's the right main side plate bearing, even if it "feels" ok.....  :-\

Everyone I get needs that bearing.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

mbh

You guys are absolutely correct.  :) I checked the bearing and it was actually ceased up and turning in the housing, when the drag was applied or increased the bearing must bind a bit tighter with the housing and made the handle harder and harder to turn. Replaced the bearing, all sweet now. Thanks.

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!