Penn 150 Surfmaster

Started by JoePlo, February 01, 2015, 09:22:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

broadway

I know this thread is from a couple years ago, but the star is backwards... numbers go on the inside.
Dom

Reel 224

Better late then never Dom ;) I think your the first to spot that.

the other Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Decker

Quote from: broadway on February 21, 2017, 02:45:24 AM
I know this thread is from a couple years ago, but the star is backwards... numbers go on the inside.
Dom

I'm a novice at this stuff... if the star is flat on both sides, what difference would it make which side is up (other than cosmetic)?   Reminds me of something else... when replacing the reel seat on a Penn, I wonder which way it is supposed to face, front to back... :P

Keta

The 113 and 114 size have butress threads , the 60 size doesn't though.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Decker

Quote from: Keta on February 21, 2017, 03:08:33 PM
The 113 and 114 size have butress threads , the 60 size doesn't though.

Buttress threads - had to google that one. Thanks.   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buttress_thread 

sdlehr

Quote from: Decker on February 21, 2017, 02:26:43 PM
Quote from: broadway on February 21, 2017, 02:45:24 AM
Dom

I'm a novice at this stuff... if the star is flat on both sides, what difference would it make which side is up (other than cosmetic)?   Reminds me of something else... when replacing the reel seat on a Penn, I wonder which way it is supposed to face, front to back... :P
The star direction is purely cosmetic. It functions the same backward and forward. I suppose like the stand, they had to put a number on one side, which makes the part have a directionality it didn't have when there was no part number.

Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

RowdyW

The star is stamped out in a punch press and the sharper edge is on the inside where the part no. is and the more rounded edge is on the outside. Very little difference but there is a difference. Plus it looks nicer.        Rudy

Keta

Quote from: sdlehr on February 21, 2017, 03:19:59 PM
The star direction is purely cosmetic. It functions the same backward and forward. I suppose like the stand, they had to put a number on one side, which makes the part have a directionality it didn't have when there was no part number.
Sid

There is a differance on the 113 and 114 size threads, look at a gearsleve with a magnifier.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buttress_thread 

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

sdlehr

Quote from: Keta on February 21, 2017, 03:56:39 PM
Sid
Quote from: Keta on February 21, 2017, 03:56:39 PM
Sid

There is a differance on the 113 and 114 size threads, look at a gearsleve with a magnifier.

Lee, I'm confused, I think, that's how confused I might be. The 113 uses the 10-66 star, the 114 uses the 10-114 star (also used on the 115). AFter thoughtful consideration, it seems what you are bringing up about the buttress threads means that there is a directionality on the 114 star even without the number stamped. I presume the number is stamped so that if it is on the inside (not visible) the threads are in the proper orientation so that the buttress threads may be engaged in the proper direction so as not to fail prematurely.

Thanks for this information. I thought screw threads were all the same before this post.

Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

Keta

I also "helped" I should have said 113H.

Mark Twain