Scored? 3/0 accurate Magnum.

Started by JRD, November 06, 2016, 09:41:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JRD

I wouldn't say SCORED exactly cuz this set of plates is a little rough.  But it's all there and maybe I will invest in a one off green refinish job.  Here is what I'm guessing it will cost to own a green Baja special equivalent.  $150 purchase price, $95 to refinish and another $190 in double dog bridge, sleeve. yoke etc.  Oh $60 for upgraded drags and what say $40 for an AT power handle.  I'm crazy just don't tell my significant other.

anglingarchitect

I just retired so i have to cut back on my reel/crack habit.

David Hall

I'd be pretty happy with a deal like that.  A set of 3/0 magnum plates and spool is a hard find and these don't look bad,  a new finish would give you the makings of a rare and powerful beauty.

JRD

Quote from: David Hall on November 06, 2016, 10:47:33 PM
I'd be pretty happy with a deal like that.  A set of 3/0 magnum plates and spool is a hard find and these don't look bad,  a new finish would give you the makings of a rare and powerful beauty.

I've been looking for over a year now.  Not really complaining but now the fun part begins - collecting the expensive stainless pieces and finding a good / reasonable shop to do the anodizing. 

Shark Hunter

Congrats on that retirement my man.
Hopefully we can hook up some day in CSB. ;)
Honestly, I hate reels that keep going on and on.
It is definitely a labor of love.
Life is Good!

JRD

Update, the good, the bad and the ugly.  I put the internals in a jar of simple green for a few days and out comes a pristine looking set of stainless 4:1 gears with almost no visible wear and I found a double dog bridge and sleeve for $75.  The bad is a blown bearing on the right plate but I have spares.  The ugly is the wear where the eccentric goes through the plate and inside.  The wear is down through the anodizing and on the inside where the lip of the eccentric sits it's all chewed up like the spring broke and the eccentric was spun a lot, chewing up the plates, I can't figure what would cause the wear and chewed up spot. 

I've got an SS jack plate coming and then I will put it together and fish it while I decide whether to keep it rough or have it reanodized.  Rat rod style more than hot rod.

Question:  if I do refinish I'm thinking of milling off the top cross piece.  Accurate frames are not as thick along the plates as tiburon, any opinions on making the accurate frame top less?  Will the reel just fold in on itself under high drag settings?

David Hall

Personally I wouldn't modify that frame at all.  Note all the newer topless frames are real beefy where it's needed.  Better off to trade or sell the frame for an a newer topless model.

JRD

Here is the plate issue.  And I found another, I thought it was just dirty but the stainless steel yoke has turned purple with heat.  Any ideas?

TongassFisher

Randy, where are you with this reel? I'm contemplating doing a similar build although these parts appear to be impossible to find? Hope you don't mind me resurrecting this post!

Any updated pictures?

Thanks,

Trev

David Hall

That yoke is shot.  Good news is I'm pretty sure you can get a replacement.  Bad news is I don't remember which one it is.  And I don't have a 3/0 magnum.  On the good side I am pretty sure Ted will know which yoke you need to replace it with. 
Reel is Coming along nicely.
  My .02 worth on refinishing it would be if your going to fish it, which I think you are leave it like it is.  You're building a tank and you won't mind nearly as much when you get a new rash on the old finish.  Unless you have money to burn and just want it to be as perfect as you can make it, then by all means turn it into a one off greenie, it would be beautiful.
Tom Testa, Does reel refinishing and engraving. His work is perfection,  Last I checked with him it was around 150 for a one off frame and spool.  That was a couple years ago though and I decided to leave mine alone for now.  He's on the east coast and he's a high volume finisher but you might be able to slip in on one of his production runs with the right color.
Keep posting so we can follow this build, magnums are a special reel.

PacRat

JRD

[quote author=TongassFisher link=topic=19685.msg226139#msg226139 date=148

Thanks,

It's together and fished.  I used one of Bryan's pro gear yokes, worked fine except the stainless gear set must have been the cheap eBay set and the pinion chewed up the new yoke and itself.  A new old stock Penn steel gear and new pinion fixed it.  BP stainless double dog bridge and bridge sleeve, motive ocean city style star and pro gear power handle.  New bearings and drags, delrin under gear and on top of the stack make this thing a beast.  The refinish is on hold since I got the Cortez green squidder, but I'm still thinking of cutting the frame to make it topless.  Also waiting on a Ketas crank then will go with BPs 50mm knob.  Randy Pauly mentioned once that the Magnum spool wouldn't work in the Tib frame, can anyone confirm that?

Trev the last picture shows the gear housing extending past the frame which tells u it's a Magnum plate.  Let's see how the last deal goes ( I may fall in love with Avet) and maybe this one could be bought.

thorhammer

Quote from: JRD on November 11, 2016, 07:55:42 AM
Update, the good, the bad and the ugly.  I put the internals in a jar of simple green for a few days and out comes a pristine looking set of stainless 4:1 gears with almost no visible wear and I found a double dog bridge and sleeve for $75.  The bad is a blown bearing on the right plate but I have spares.  The ugly is the wear where the eccentric goes through the plate and inside.  The wear is down through the anodizing and on the inside where the lip of the eccentric sits it's all chewed up like the spring broke and the eccentric was spun a lot, chewing up the plates, I can't figure what would cause the wear and chewed up spot. 

I've got an SS jack plate coming and then I will put it together and fish it while I decide whether to keep it rough or have it reanodized.  Rat rod style more than hot rod.

Question:  if I do refinish I'm thinking of milling off the top cross piece.  Accurate frames are not as thick along the plates as tiburon, any opinions on making the accurate frame top less?  Will the reel just fold in on itself under high drag settings?

Hey, I bet one of Tom's Teflon eccentric sleeves would true up the hole in the plate...the one that comes with his Cortez Conversions plates / kits.

thorhammer

Do you have any interest in selling the red handle?

JRD

Quote from: thorhammer on March 01, 2017, 05:05:24 PM
Do you have any interest in selling the red handle?

I was just thinking the same thing but would have to mill out the eccentric hole.  If I do a refinish I will try it then.  Once I get the other crank I will be letting this handle go and will give you first shot.