My wife's first stelhead trip

Started by Keta, February 28, 2017, 04:40:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keta

I traded reel repair for a guided steelhead trip for two on Washington States Cowlitz River with Dave Mallahan out of Toledo WA.  The fishing was slow with few fish in the river, cold high water and mid 30's with rain wanting to be snow  Dave and his deckhand Scotty worked hard to get us some fish but they were not cooperating.  Around noon Mary hooked and landed her first steelhead, and only the second fish we saw for 10 boats in the section of river we fished.  If anyone wants to fish for salmon or steelhead in SW WA or the Columbia River Dave will do a good job getting fish for you springer season is coming up.

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

steelhead_killer

Nice first metal head!  Fun times side drifting  the cow!

Andy
><)))">

Dominick

Congratulations to Mary.  How do you feel being out-fished by the wife?   :D  Not only have you been out-fished but now you have to service her reel.  The indignity of it all.   :D ;D Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Keta

Quote from: Dominick on February 28, 2017, 05:43:01 PM
Congratulations to Mary.  How do you feel being out-fished by the wife?   :D  Not only have you been out-fished but now you have to service her reel.  The indignity of it all.   :D ;D Dominick

I did have to do an on the water repair of one of David's reels. 

Andy, the Cow is a nice river but I hear it can be like B-10 when the fish are in.  Too bad WDFW "lost" all the smolts.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

mo65

That's a nice fish...congrats! 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

foakes

Hey, Alan --

Looks like Photo of the Month, to me.

Great smile, and a good fish!

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

sharkman

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

Reel 224

Mary; congratulations on your catch! Keta, It's nice when our wives enjoy fishing as much as we do. ;) ;D

Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

David Hall

Way to go.  That is cold weather cold water fishing.  I fished for many years up there.  You ever fish the Wilson?

Alto Mare

Congratulations to Mary on the nice fish. good job also on showing Lee how its done  :)

Yep! definitely worth photo of the month.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Keta

Quote from: David Hall on February 28, 2017, 10:05:25 PM
Way to go.  That is cold weather cold water fishing.  I fished for many years up there.  You ever fish the Wilson?

Yes, caught a 20# fish on the Wilson.

Mark Twain

steelhead_killer

Lee:

I have only made one trip with a guide on the Cow.  I had a customer with me so it was very comfortable for him. When the fish are really in,  handling the boat is a circus.  First few drifts I just watched the guide maneuver between drift boats, bank fishermen, jet boats... all stacked up on Blue creek.   The guy earned his fee that day just keeping the boat safely between everyone.  We all caught fish.  Small summer hatchery fish.  Light tackle! Still fun!  Glad you made it up my way! 

Andy
><)))">

steelfish

Quote from: Reel 224 on February 28, 2017, 08:10:35 PM
Mary; congratulations on your catch! Keta

yep nice catch Lee, shes a keeper, the fish looks good too

;D

The Baja Guy