The Mystery of Penn's First Reel... taken from catalog

Started by Tightlines667, February 28, 2017, 07:12:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tightlines667

Interesting article from Penn's catalog (attached)...

By Kevin Martin, Penn CEO

"
The mystery of Penn's first reel

Read any article on the history of Penn Fishing Tackle and it will likely state that Penn 's first reel was the MOD F introduced sometime in 1932 or 1933.But recent research, conducted by a group of Penn employees and ORCA (Old Reel Collector 's Association) members, has uncovered some interesting facts that challenge which reel was truly Penn 's first, and the correct timing of its introduction.

The following article outlines the group 's findings and rewrites the early history of Penn Fishing Tackle Manufacturing Company.

We know that Otto Henze worked at Ocean City Reels Company of Philadelphia during the 1920 's. Otto worked as a machinist for Ocean City and learned enough to design and manufacture fishing reels. Mr. Henze left Ocean City Reels Company around 1929, with the intent of starting his own company. Little is known about Otto Henze 's activities in 1930 and 1931.It was a tough time to be unemployed, since America had entered the Great Depression. Otto worked from his home at 3306 Bailey Street in Philadelphia.

At some point in time, Otto Henze made the acquaintance of Mr. George Hunt, who we believe was affiliated with Ocean City Reels in a sales capacity. The two likely collaborated about going into business with each other – Mr. Henze knowing how to make reels, and Mr. Hunt knowing how to sell them.

ORCA member Gary Davis recently went to a flea market in Philadelphia and purchased a box of old Penn catalogs, documents and letters. One letter indicates that Mr. Henze had developed a prototype fishing reel in 1930 –but it was not the MOD F. This particular prototype was the MOD K, a reel that was first documented by Gary Quick in his 1996 ORCA "REEL NEWS " article. We suspect that Mr. Henze also had a prototype of the MOD F in 1930,but we have found nothing in writing yet to substantiate its existence.

We can only surmise that Mr. Henze spent the years 1930 and 1931 trying to perfect his prototype reels and raise the necessary capital to start his own company. We have not yet uncovered any other documents that relate to this time period. But numerous documents have been discovered that help paint a very clear picture of what took place in 1932.

A drawing dated April 1,1932 for a MOD K side plate was discovered by Penn engineer Eric Baisch in some old files at Penn. It was beginning to look like the MOD K was Penn 's first reel, not the MOD F. An early "Parts "brochure for the MOD F has been in the public domain for many years, so most assumed it was Penn's first reel.

Then in May, 1932, Otto Henze began taking the necessary steps to start his new company and bring his prototype reels to market. We have confirmed that George Hunt was a part owner in that new company.

On May 11,1932,Mr.Henze paid attorney Leon Edelson $135 to prepare patent applications for two new fishing reels which turned out to be the MOD F and the MOD K.

On May 14th, Mr. Henze began renting space at William Schmitz & Co. General Machinists at 492 North 3rd Street in Philadelphia. He immediately ordered the development of a 4-cavity side plate mold from Kuhn & Jacob Machine & Tool Company of Trenton, New Jersey. In July, Mr.Henze also had Kuhn & Jacob engrave two plugs to stamp the side plates – one plug for the MOD F, the other for the MOD K. Both plugs contained the Brand name Penn, and the new company name, Penn Fishing Tackle Mfg.Co.

From July to August, 1932, matching side plates were produced by Kuhn & Jacobs for the MOD F and MOD K. Records indicate there were 1,322 side plates for the MOD F and 1,018 for the MOD K. There are no actual production records available to determine how many reels were completed for the MOD F and MOD K, but it could not be more than the number of side plates produced.  On July 30,1932, Mr.Edelson filed the two patents for the technology used in the MOD F and the MOD K. Based on this and all prior information, it would be accurate to say that Penn had "two " first reels – the MOD F and the MOD K. Both were produced at the same time, and both patents were filed at the same time. But just when the mystery
of Penn 's first reel seemed unraveled, another discovery was made.

After evaluating the MOD K reels in existence today, it was discovered there are 2 different types – one with a star drag, and one without. So it appears Penn had
"three "first reels –the MOD F, the MOD K with star drag, and the MOD K with no star drag.(There are only 4 MOD F 's known to exist today, only 4 MOD K 's with star drag,
and 3 without).There is further evidence to support the theory that Penn had "three" first reels.

Otto Henze spent the Fall of 1932 ordering parts and assembling his reels. As 1933 approached, Mr. Henze decided to change the names of the MOD F and MOD K reels before they were introduced to the marketplace. New plug stamps were engraved and boxes with labels were produced for "three "different reels –the SEA HAWK, the BAYSIDE, and the LONG BEACH.
The MOD F became the SEA HAWK, the MOD K with no star drag became the BAYSIDE, and the MOD K with a star drag became the LONG BEACH. Actual sales invoices confirm that these 3 reels were first sold in February,1933.

We theorized that the early boxes marked SEA HAWK, BAYSIDE, and LONG BEACH actually contained reels stamped MOD F or MOD K. It was unlikely that Mr. Henze scrapped the original production run of the MOD F and MOD K side plates. So he probably used the MOD F reels in SEA HAWK boxes,and divided the MOD K reels between the BAYSIDE and LONG BEACH
boxes. This theory was recently confirmed when we purchased an original LONG BEACH box and reel on Ebay. The reel inside the box was stamped MOD K.

One thing is now certain –the MOD K reel should take its rightful place alongside the MOD F reel, and finally be recognized as Penn 's first reel. The MOD K and the MOD F were produced and sold at the same time, and each had identical patent application dates. The MOD K patent was actually approved before the MOD F patent.

There are still many unanswered questions relating to Penn 's first reels. How many MOD F and MOD K reels were actually produced? How many MOD K 's were produced with a star drag and with no star drag? Were there ever boxes made with MOD F or MOD K labels? Is there a MOD K parts pamphlet to complement the MOD F parts pamphlet? Did George Hunt actually work
for Ocean City Reels Company; and if so,did he leave at the same time with Otto Henze? Whatever happened to the Kuhn & Jacob Machine Company in Trenton, and the William Schmitz Company in Philadelphia?

These questions will continue to be researched; and hopefully someone will have documents, letters, boxes, labels, or early reels stored in their attic, garage, or basement that could help us solve the mystery of Penn 's first reels.

Special thanks to ORCA members Gary Davis and Gary Quick for helping us piece together our early history. Also, to collector Eric Tilman for helping us acquire a MOD F reel.Visit the History Section on our website at www.pennreels.com to see additional photos of Penn 's early reels and related memorabilia."
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

coastal_dan

Awesome read, this company never ceases to amaze me.  The interest in its history by it's 'collectors' is outstanding and inspiring, I'm happy to be a minor part of that interest!

"On May 14th, Mr. Henze began renting space at William Schmitz & Co. General Machinists at 492 North 3rd Street in Philadelphia."

I know exactly where this building is and will snap a photo next time we are in Old City...my Dad and I often wondered what mysteries came out of this building, I believe it is partially condos now, but will confirm.
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

Maxed Out

The model K's I've seen without star drag were simply model k sideplates with model f guts. Likely done by a tinkerer back in the day.
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

David Hall

oc1

Dominick

Great stuff.  Thanks John.  This is the kind of thing to get one's imagination going.  You are right David it makes you want to go on a treasure hunt.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

mo65

~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

The Great Maudu

I think it's interesting that the CEO has that much interest and was willing to invest that much time in the project. Sounds like he's one of us.

Penn Chronology

QuoteInteresting article from Penn's catalog (attached)...

John, the info you are using is years out of date. Many of the names are wrong. I know most of the people you are naming. Gary Quick wrote those Reel News articles 20 years ago

I believe the first Penn reel was the Model F. I own the first prototype of that reel. It does not have a logo and all the parts are chrome plated. The gears are straight cut, rather than the bevel cut gears of the Model F. It is the only one in existence, so far. It is new and has not been close to the water. It is crude and was not a final product. I bought it from Gary Quick, I have known him for years.

The Model K was made in two versions and the internal parts were distinctly different between the two versions.

I just wrote a Penn history article for an Australian magazine titled Blue Water Boats and Sportfishing Magazine   www.bluewatermag.com.au . Hoping for a July publishing date. It is the most updated version of Penn history I have written and I am sure if I rewrite it next year, it will have to be updated again. Of course, it is a magazine article, so it is not a lengthly book style history study; but, it is current.

Early Penn history has much speculation in it. The letters from Bruce Davis (not Gary Davis) and Gary Quick are in my Yellow book. They were contributed for the book to me from Bruce and Gary many years ago.

Penn history is a constant flow of discovery. I am continuously searching. You would not believe how much was lost. Most of the early Penn documents went into a dumpster in 2003, or that is what I was told.

BryanC

Quote from: Penn Chronology on March 03, 2017, 09:53:21 AM
QuoteInteresting article from Penn's catalog (attached)...

John, the info you are using is years out of date.

Per his attachment, it is from a 2005-6 Penn European catalog.  The date is in the upper left corner of page 1.  Still pretty interesting, IMO.

coastal_dan

Out of date maybe, but a really fun read and the info still seems applicable.  Heck, I read my 80's and early 00's catalogs every couple weeks and still seem to find new information  :D ::)  The 2004 may be one of my favorite catalogs, tons of history after the transition...2007 is a close second (yeah, I know they are new catalogs, not old ones  ::))
Dan from Philadelphia...

Tightlines667

Mike,
I almost hesitated to post this given the out-of-date, and possible erroneous information.  I knew you would put us on the right track here.   I wonder if Penn will use your newly published resources to update the history of Penn section on future catalogs?  Maybe you should consider reaching out to them?  This reminds me of all of the other fishing reel manufacturer-related published books (and online resources) that needed editing/further additions to correct misinformation that comes to light as further details surface.  I can think of several things (& I'm sure Ted&Ray have a few as well?) that have potentially changed our thinking on early Penn history since your first book was published.  Not that the information was necessarily incorrect, just that further clarification or finer details have become available.  It is a never ending process.  One which I am intimately familiar with when working with scientific reports involving fisheries data.  A phrase I (& the agency in general) use often is "Best Available... data/science/etc...

So I sympathize with the origional author, and anyone willing to puttheir neck on the line by publishing.

John
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Penn Chronology

QuoteI almost hesitated to post this givn the out-of-date, and possible erroneous information.  I knew you would put us on the right track here.   I wonder if Penn will use your newly published resources to update tye history of Penn section on future catalogs?  Maybe you should consider reaching out to them?  This reminds me of allof the other fishing reel manufacturer-related published books (and online resources) that needed editing/further additions to correct misinformation that comes to light as further details surface.  I can think of several things (& I'm sure Ted&Ray have a few as well?) that have potentially changed our thinking on early Penn history since your first book was published.  Not that the information was necessarily incorrect, just that further clarification or finer details have become available.  It is a never ending process.  One which I am intimately familiar with when working with scientific reports involving fisheries data.  A phrase I (& the agency in general) use often is "Best Available... data/science/etc...

So I sympathize withthe origional author, and anyone willing to putthere neck on the line by publishing.

If you call customer service at Penn and ask about reels from the first 25 years you will get the info from my books. They already have all three issues and use them for reference all the time. I have been in contact with the executives at the Pure Fishing branch of Penn for a few years, I needed to do that in order to get a release to publish. Your retelling of the old Reel News info was interesting to me. Your information was not bad, it is simply a beginning of the study. The fact that the names are wrong was a sore point with the people who were misnamed. The only correct name was Gary Quick.

Anyways, I keep trying to get it right. Sure wish I was a real historian / writer instead of a mechanic..............<:O(

coastal_dan

I finally had a chance to download that Euro product book, very interesting!  Neat that they have so many specific rods and a few reels to that side of the pond.  I especially like the 'Guvnor' surf rod...I kept thinking of the movie 'Snatch' haha (great flick if you haven't seen it).
Dan from Philadelphia...

sdlehr

So we have the model F and model K as the first reels. This has been well-established. But what happened to models A->E, G, H, I and J? What did Otto Henze have in mind before he settled on these two designs? We'll probably never know, but I'm sure he didn't start naming his prototypes in the middle of the alphabet.

Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector